Responsibility for Building Maps

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
carljokl

Responsibility for Building Maps

Post by carljokl »

I was just wondering if anyone knows who has responsibility for the Maps for Meeting House and Institute locations in the UK.

The location shown on the map for the Dewsbury Chapel is completely wrong as is the location for the Leeds Institute of Religion. These should be fixed or I worry people visiting might end up in completely the wrong place.
There are no problems, only solutions.
cottrells

Post by cottrells »

Hi Carl, have you used feedback option to make these changes known to the developers? When the Church first started publishing these maps online most of the pins for the units where I live needing correcting. I used the feedback option and in a short time the pins were moved.
carljokl

Post by carljokl »

Is this just the standard "Contact Us" form or is there one specifically for updates for the Map. Also should I work out the correct GPS position and give them that?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

carljokl wrote:Is this just the standard "Contact Us" form or is there one specifically for updates for the Map. Also should I work out the correct GPS position and give them that?
The best way to give feedback is to click on the marker for the building. In the popup there will be a Feedback link. If there is no building marker, then place a marker at the spot (using the green marker from the maps control panel), and then that marker's popup will have a feedback link. Using either of these methods will provide the coordinates to the support team through the feedback you give.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
carljokl

Post by carljokl »

I don't see any feedback link on the popup when I click on a Chapel location pin. I don't see it if I view more info either. Could it be that this feature is only on the US map but not the UK one?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

carljokl wrote:I don't see any feedback link on the popup when I click on a Chapel location pin. I don't see it if I view more info either. Could it be that this feature is only on the US map but not the UK one?
Hmm. I went to maps.lds.org, searched for Dewsbury, and the following popped up:
Dewsbury.jpg
Dewsbury.jpg (18.51 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
As you can see, there is a Feedback link on the popup. I'm using Firefox 4, if that makes any difference, but it works the same on IE8 and Chrome.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I've just checked on the location for Dewsbury Chapel, in Maps. I found that if I'm logged in with my LDS Account the pop up gives me the option to move the facility. Without being logged in the only option is a feedback link, at the bottom LH side, of the pop up.

My callings are STS and Assistant Ward Clerk. I don't know if either of these callings give me the credentials to be able to move a facility?

I see aebrown beat me to it.

I'm using IE9.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I have just rechecked the OP query, about the Dewsbury Chapel location and realised that he was referring to the Ward Locator on the UK LDS.org site. The chapel building is indeed shown in the wrong location. To rectify this, using Google Maps to get the correct co-ordinates, it is necessary to use the Contact Us link to send the information.

I have now done this. It can take a couple of weeks for the changes to happen. On the main LDS.org - Maps section the location is correct.
cottrells

Post by cottrells »

Well I'm pleased to hear that you've helped resolve Carl original query, but this now leads me to the question why does lds.org.uk need to provide a mapping solution when lds.org/maps already provides a product with more information and better features?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I'm afraid my timeframe for the correction is way out.:)

Just checked the site and the Dewsbury Chapel is now where it should be! I submitted the information less than an hour ago. The wonders of modern technology.

cottrells

I'm sure somebody has an explanation :confused:

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”