Birthday information from MLS in the calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jasonhaslam

Birthday information from MLS in the calendar

Post by jasonhaslam »

Is it possible to import birthdays from MLS into the new calendar? I'm not sure exactly how it would work, but it would be useful for leaders and even home and visiting teachers to see the birthdays of the families they visit.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

I would suggest that there are many reasons (privacy being one) that this would probably be a bad idea. Home and visiting teachers and leaders already have other means of getting this information in a private way.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Privacy alone is probably a deal killer, but another problem is updating the calendar for new move-ins and removing the birthdays for the move-outs.

There is a Birthday "Report" in the Leader Portal. I'd suggest that the leaders use that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

Can you explain why privacy is a deal killer?

I'm curious because when we print the "Directory of Members" it has birthday information on it. Perhaps we aren't supposed to give out the "Directory of Members"?

(I'm trying not to sound harsh or accusatory... I truly want to know the answer because we currently have YM birthday information on the YM calendar we created... in fact, it was discussed in bishopric meeting yesterday. If it turns out we are violating privacy then we want to take it down).

Thanks~!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Everything is fine - until someone complains.

Yes, my test install of MLS "Directory of Members' does list birth days (and for children birth dates) by default. However due to the number of pages, I don't think most units pass that out to the general membership. The Abbreviated Directory is the one usually handed out en mass. it doesn't have birthdays. To date, I haven't noticed birth days listed in the on-line systems for most members.

But if you're looking for policy, you might want to look at Handbook 2, 21.1.15. As always, the Bishop and Stake President hold the keys to interpreting those policies.

But as I pointed out, the real problem is keeping the system up to date. A system that could leave someone out risks hurt feelings. Usually this is brought up due to a non-member who attends youth classes, but there's any number of situations that could arise.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

Thanks for the prompt reply and the insight! Agreed on the potential for people complaining, keeping the info up-to-date, and feelings being hurt when the information is not up-to-date.

Return to “Calendar”