MLS Finance Statements Sorting by Date lexically, not correctly

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
dajoker

MLS Finance Statements Sorting by Date lexically, not correctly

Post by dajoker »

MLS 3.3.1

When in MLS and viewing financial statements the sorting does not work properly. The sorting algorithm used appears to sort lexically (by the text of the date field) rather than by the actual date. This could be fixed either by using a proper date format (YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss) or else by changing the sorting algorithm to treat the field as dates.

Steps to duplicate:
Finances: Finance Statements
Click on the Date column's header. Sorting happens showing dates like the following:

10 Apr 2011
10 Dec 2010
10 May 2010
10 May 2011
10 May 2011
1 2011
12 Jul 2009
9 Nov 2008

Clicking on the column a second time sorts in the reverse (and still incorrect) order. Because of this finding the latest financial statements (just did a Send/Receive and was notified that there were some) is fairly painful since it could require searching the entire list of years of reports.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

While the sort on the date is as you describe you can still get the latest financial statements to appear at the top of the list by sorting on the Name. The first sort will be from the oldest to the newest. Clicking again will put the newest at the top. The date is included in the name. So the lexical sort works good enough to get the current year statements all at the top though not in the order one would desire when sorting on the Name column.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

Close, yes. When I sort by the first column I get:

21 Apr 2011
7 Apr 2011
Apr 2011 - 01
Apr 2011 - 01
Mar 2011 - 01
Mar 2011 - 01

and indeed the dates appear to be moving correctly, at least well enough to only keep me looking at the top few entries for valid dates. In the case above the first two results have listings in the Date column which should put them as third and sixth, respectively, moving the current third and fourth entries to first.

Thanks for the quick response.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

Just to be clear, is there somewhere else I should enter this to have it fixed in the future?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dajoker wrote:Just to be clear, is there somewhere else I should enter this to have it fixed in the future?
This is just a community support forum. If you want to actually request that it be fixed, you need to submit your report to Local Unit Support.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

Is there any plan to put MLS in Jira (or if there, make it available to others) to streamline this process?

Thx for the reply.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”