Update on YSA Project?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Tayuke

Update on YSA Project?

Post by Tayuke »

I'm just a little curious here and am wondering if anyone can answer: Is anyone able to give an update on the progress of the Church's YSA Website, known as the YSA Project with the wiki (https://tech.lds.org/wiki/YSA_Project). I'm particularly interested in seeing the "Get Connected" working as a way of getting the word out online about upcoming activities ect. that the church may have, from a ward level right up to events that may be area-wide through official church means! (Atleast, that is my understanding of how that particularly section of the website will operate)

I'm a YSA that run Facebook groups on all levels (Ward right up to National) for the promoting of these church activities - I've been doing this now for nearly 3 years without having to shut down one of the groups down after many discussions with church leaders and other members about the concerns they have, the manner the promoting is done ect. Debates all aside, it has been a very effective way of getting the information out there - Roughly 80% of our Region's YSA get the info through these Facebook events I place online (I say roughly, as it was what our Regional YSA Adviser saw after a quick-on the stand, raise your hands count!); 80% of those at the fireside also get there information through announcements made at church, but I know with alot of YSA, information comes in one ear...and goes out the other...

Facebook is going downhill majorly in getting this kind of information out on a large scale without too many complications in the back-end of administrating it all; And I've read about this project several months ago now...I depart for my mission in just a little over a months time, but atleast knowing that something might be around when I return home in 2013 would be of comfort to me :)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Tayuke wrote:Is anyone able to give an update on the progress of the Church's YSA Website, known as the YSA Project with the wiki (https://tech.lds.org/wiki/YSA_Project).

There was a flurry of activity back in March and April of 2010 defining plans and requirements for this project. But then not much happened until August. On 2 Aug 2010, a notice was put on the wiki article that "This project is no longer an active community project."

So the community project as described on the wiki is dead. I have no idea if some other project will replace it, or if the Church will be doing something itself with no community involvement. But the only specific information is that this community project will not go forward. I imagine that's disappointing to you, but that's where it stands.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Tayuke

Post by Tayuke »

I have noted the inactive project notice and nothing having seemed to have happenend since mid-last year; There was a hope with me that there was still something going on even behind closed doors, but you've just confirmed what is already shown :( Maybe even something said at the recent Coference, but guess not...

Alot can happen in two years time; During that time though, I'll leave my efforts with the Stake YSA Reps in my region and see what will happen while I'm away serving the Lord!
morris.jerem

Update on Website

Post by morris.jerem »

I am a student at Arizona State University. Last semester (Spring 2011) I took part in a test group for the YSA website and gave feed back to what I liked about it and what I did not. The website looked great as far as I can remember and they are still working on it going from test group to test group up and down the west coast. Not sure when it will be released, we were not given an information regarding a when or how.

Return to “General Discussions”