Printing Problem in Stake Offices

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
techgy
Community Moderators

Printing Problem in Stake Offices

Post by techgy »

Over the past several weeks I've been dealing with a problem of eratic/slow Internet speeds in our stake offices. The problem was traced to a small 4 port router that we used to provide the Internet to the two computers in the stake clerk's office.

After some thought it was decided that we would replace the router with a 5 port switch. Upon making the change our problem with the Internet was resolved. But in doing so we realized a different problem.

We have a Brother multi-function printer that is assigned an IP address (192.168.0.xxx). The printer WAS connected to the router before and it worked perfectly. Yes - I realize that the router was providing the DHCP function, which the switch doesn't do. However, we didn't feel that this was an issue as the IP address was already assigned internal to the Brother printer.

Long story shortened - the computers will not communicate with the Brother printer.

Thoughts?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

If you have a Cisco ASA firewall, read the IP address assigned to it from the label on top (10.xxx.xxx.xxx) and set the IP address of the printer to be one of the next 5 following that one. You might want to ping that new IP address first to make sure no AP's or other things haven't already been assigned to that one. Set your computers to send their print jobs to the newly assigned IP address and away you go.

I only mentioned the Cisco ASA, because that's the only one I have direct experience with. The other firewalls the church issues are probably configured in a similar fashion, but I can't confirm that.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If there's no label, You might do a Start > Run > CMD and in the DOS box type IPCONFIG. The IP of the firewall should be the "Gateway" address.

If the printer drivers on the computers are set up with a IP address, then you'll have to update it with the new address before it will work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Mikerowaved wrote:If you have a Cisco ASA firewall, read the IP address assigned to it from the label on top (10.xxx.xxx.xxx) and set the IP address of the printer to be one of the next 5 following that one. You might want to ping that new IP address first to make sure no AP's or other things haven't already been assigned to that one. Set your computers to send their print jobs to the newly assigned IP address and away you go.

I only mentioned the Cisco ASA, because that's the only one I have direct experience with. The other firewalls the church issues are probably configured in a similar fashion, but I can't confirm that.
Interesting approach. I'll give this a try today. Question: Since these IP addresses are available in the public, isn't this a bit of a risk? I might find an IP that works today, but what happens when the church assigns a new firewall and they just happen to an address that I'm using?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

10.x.x.x are private IPs, just like 192.168.x.x.

Wikipedia Reference
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Mikerowaved wrote:If you have a Cisco ASA firewall, read the IP address assigned to it from the label on top (10.xxx.xxx.xxx) and set the IP address of the printer to be one of the next 5 following that one. You might want to ping that new IP address first to make sure no AP's or other things haven't already been assigned to that one. Set your computers to send their print jobs to the newly assigned IP address and away you go.

If I ever get into your neck of the woods, I owe you a dinner ! Thanks for the great suggestion. It worked perfectly.
Apparently the ASA wasn't passing the 192.168 IP address through. We're back in business. I have to remember this one :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:Apparently the ASA wasn't passing the 192.168 IP address through.

It shouldn't be expected to. Private IPs are routable, just not on the public Internet. It didn't know that the 192.168.x.x subnet was also "inside".

techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:It shouldn't be expected to. Private IPs are routable, just not on the public Internet. It didn't know that the 192.168.x.x subnet was also "inside".

Whatever the problem was, it's working now. Since users at the ward/stake level do not have access to the ASA's, it's difficult to ascertain just exactly the problem was.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”