Directory photo info

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
nmecantwin73

Directory photo info

Post by nmecantwin73 »

On lds.org/directory, I have added a photo of my family on our listing. When I click on the photo, it expands and shows the enlarged photo and the names of the household members. However, it shows the first and middle names of my children, where it only shows first names for me and my wife.

Everywhere else in the online directory and in MLS, it shows the preferred name which is just their first names. How do I make the family photo view show only their first names? I have gone to "Edit Profile" and it only shows their first names.

Am I missing something? Has anyone else noticed this?
(I have submitted feedback via the link.)

Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nmecantwin73 wrote:Everywhere else in the online directory and in MLS, it shows the preferred name which is just their first names. How do I make the family photo view show only their first names? I have gone to "Edit Profile" and it only shows their first names.

I see the same thing. I think you've done everything you can do -- the application needs to be changed to fix this.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
johncpratt1

ward directory needs preferred name

Post by johncpratt1 »

I agree and I have sent feedback via the feedback link, but this is a deal breaker--we can't use the online directory or send out PDFs in the ward newsletter email unless we can use preferred names--I have heard embarrassed members not want their full names known to other member. It's the only complaint I have heard from members, so in at least 2 wards, we have had a special person type up a non-standard directory to help "get it right".

We really need a way for the Ward Clerk, Ward Website Administrator, or bishopric members to edit the name that shows on the directory (best of all, to have the member be able, too, but seeing they can't even log in, at least some others should be able). I suppose the only currently available way is via MLS?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I agree that this is a deal breaker... Many members are upset when their full name is printed on any list. I have submitted a feedback on this also. i know the developers have many areas they are working on, but maybe if they receive enough feedback posts on this, they will move it up on the priority list...
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

johncpratt1 wrote:We really need a way for the Ward Clerk, Ward Website Administrator, or bishopric members to edit the name that shows on the directory (best of all, to have the member be able, too, but seeing they can't even log in, at least some others should be able). I suppose the only currently available way is via MLS?
Changing a member's preferred name can currently only be done in MLS. The lds.org Leaders Tools features continue to be developed and additional capabilities appear as they are completed. Eventually I suspect that the ward clerk and the bishop may be able to edit a member's preferred name using the Leaders Tools. But I doubt a website administrator will be given this ability. I could see a member being given this ability but only with the provision that the change be approved by the bishop or clerk before the change becomes effective. If the Leaders Tools follow the default (recommended) rights in MLS then the bishopric counselors will not be given edit rights to change a member's preferred name either.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

I don't think the issue is whether the preferred name can be changed, but the fact that the full name is used on the directory instead of the preferred name.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

GreenwoodKL wrote:I don't think the issue is whether the preferred name can be changed, but the fact that the full name is used on the directory instead of the preferred name.
Poster johncpratt1 had two parts (two issues) to his post. If you will check the quote you will see I was responding to the second part.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

Thanks. :)

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”