Proper use of ward missionary funds

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
stanstrad

Post by stanstrad »

I have a ward in my stake that would like to use some excess ward missionary funds to aid a senior missionary couple that needs some assistance. I have not yet contacted SLC, but thought I’d ask here if anyone knows if this is an approved use of these funds or not and where I might find documentation regarding it.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sls wrote:I have a ward in my stake that would like to use some excess ward missionary funds to aid a senior missionary couple that needs some assistance. I have not yet contacted SLC, but thought I’d ask here if anyone knows if this is an approved use of these funds or not and where I might find documentation regarding it.

There may be other references, but the MLS Financial Supplement says on page 21:
The only checks that may be written from the ward missionary fund are to help support older couples or Church service missionaries called from the ward, when their personal funds are insufficient to cover the cost of their missions.
stanstrad

Post by stanstrad »

Thank you, The missionary couple is from that ward
greggo

Post by greggo »

Based on my understanding...

Since senior missionaries are normally not on the equalized system (i.e. they directly pay for their own expenses), It should be noted that it would not be appropriate for them to donate to the ward missionary fund for the purpose of receiving a check for the same amount (and thus expect a tax avantage).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sls wrote:I have a ward in my stake that would like to use some excess ward missionary funds to aid a senior missionary couple that needs some assistance. I have not yet contacted SLC, but thought I’d ask here if anyone knows if this is an approved use of these funds or not and where I might find documentation regarding it.

The more complete reference is in the Church Handbook of Instructions, Book 1 (2006) p. 96. There it clearly states all the points that have been made previously on this thread:
  1. Ward missionary funds may not be used in any way for the support of missionaries who are supported through equalized contributions. For these missionaries, the equalized payment is automatically deducted each month, and that is the only payment allowed.
  2. Missionaries who provide their own support (full-time missionary couples, sisters age 40 and older who are not in proselyting or mission office assignments, and Church-service missionaries) may not contribute to the ward missionary fund for their own use.
  3. However, the ward missionary fund may be used to assist such missionaries financially if funds are available, the missionary and his/her/their family do not have adequate means to provide support, and the ward is in a country that participates in the equalized contribution program.
Since all the details are covered in the CHI, I see no reason to contact CHQ on this matter, but I would certainly recommend that you and the bishop review pages 95-96 and follow the published procedures.

I had not read this section of the handbook so carefully before, and once again I am impressed with how well the Church has thought through and documented the procedures we need to follow, if we will just read what has been provided.
clerker-p40

Post by clerker-p40 »

The monthly disbursements to the couple from the ward should not exceed the allowed amount specified for that mission. A .pdf of costs per mission can be found on this page: http://www.lds.org/csm/fulltime/0,18443,,00.html. So if the estimated monthly cost for the couple's mission was going to be $1700.00, then the ward or branch should only cut them a check for no more than that amount per month. This is only if they need the funds as stated in the handbook.
SmithGW

Post by SmithGW »

The MLS help file has financial policies. The one concerning funding missionaries says:

Full time missionary couples (regardless of assignment), full-time single missionaries who are not serving proselyting missions, and those on Church-service missionary assignments are not affected by this equalized funding procedure. These missionaries, to the extent they are able, should pay their necessary expenses directly from their own personal resources and should not contribute the amounts for those expenses to the Church as missionary contributions

To the extent such missionaries are unable to provide directly all of their own support, they may be assisted from the ward missionary fund if funds are available. The bishop may encourage and accept contributions from members to the ward missionary fund to maintain a reasonable reserve for this purpose.

To answer your question, YES. Couples may be assisted from the ward missionary fund.
jbbarrus

Post by jbbarrus »

clerker-p40 wrote:The monthly disbursements to the couple from the ward should not exceed the allowed amount specified for that mission.

Is it ok to just send them a check every month?

By the way, thanks. This thread has been very helpful.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jbbarrus wrote:Is it ok to just send them a check every month?

As long as all the guidelines mentioned have been complied with, the exact way the monthly assistance is delivered does not really matter. The ward can send them a check, deposit it in their bank account, or use whatever method meets the needs of the couple and is sufficiently secure.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”