Order of wards in directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
craiggsmith

Order of wards in directory

Post by craiggsmith »

Is there a way to control the order of the wards when listed on the web site, such as in the directory? On both the old web site (main page) and new one our wards are listed in the following order:
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 7th.
I can't figure out why the 7th ward is always last; I've looked in MLS and CDOL and don't see any way to control it.

Thanks.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

That is interesting. Since all our wards are alpha names they are displayed (sorted) alphabetically. I would assume numerically named wards would be displayed similarly. I'd love to hear from Ryan Jones what he knows.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote:That is interesting. Since all our wards are alpha names they are displayed (sorted) alphabetically. I would assume numerically named wards would be displayed similarly. I'd love to hear from Ryan Jones what he knows.

It is interesting. Our units are sorted alphabetically but 4 of the units all start with Spanish Fork and then have a number. These units are sorted by number (1st, 9th, 12th, 23rd) within that group which isn't what you'd expect with a character order sort.

This makes me think there is a manual order, probably in CDOL. Interestingly the units are in the same order in CDOL except that the one branch comes before the wards. My guess is that CDOL has a child unit order attribute but it sorts by unit type first and then by the child order whereas the directory just uses the child order. If that's true then contacting CDOL support would probably be a good option for fixing the order.

In any case, I'm sure that Ryan does know how it works. Hopefully he'll see this and chime in.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:This makes me think there is a manual order, probably in CDOL.

Perhaps a hidden "sort by" field.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks. An inquiry to CDOL support sounds like the best option at this point.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:An inquiry to CDOL support sounds like the best option at this point.

I'd wait and see if Ryan Jones chimes in. He's the developer for CDOL and tends to speak up on such issues.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

I believe if you look at the unit numbers, you will find that is the sort order.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rpyne wrote:I believe if you look at the unit numbers, you will find that is the sort order.

I don't see it that way.

I think I found the problem. It's sorted alphabetically. All the single digit wards have a double space in front of the number so they will sort before the 10th ward. But the 7th ward does not. Since it's alphabetical, not numerical, it's being placed at the end.

But you can't see that on the page since the browser always treats multiple spaces as a single space. But if you go into the page source, you can see it.

I don't think there's any way for a local unit to fix that. Someone at CHQ will have to edit the ward name.

eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

RussellHltn wrote:I don't see it that way.

I think I found the problem. It's sorted alphabetically. All the single digit wards have a double space in front of the number so they will sort before the 10th ward. But the 7th ward does not. Since it's alphabetical, not numerical, it's being placed at the end.

But you can't see that on the page since the browser always treats multiple spaces as a single space. But if you go into the page source, you can see it.

I don't think there's any way for a local unit to fix that. Someone at CHQ will have to edit the ward name.

You're absolutely right. There are two spaces before the single digit numbers in my stake as well. That does explain the sort order.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

You guys are good. The wards with a single digit number do have 2 spaces (when there are 2 digit numbers also) to force the sorting and with html you don't see the extra space.

craiggsmith, I have added an extra space to the 7th ward so it should show up in the correct order now (depending on where they get the data it may have to wait for overnight).

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”