What is the proper way to record a seminary teacher in MLS?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
psnarula

What is the proper way to record a seminary teacher in MLS?

Post by psnarula »

I created a custom calling for our seminary teacher and assigned him to the list of Out of Unit callings (since this is technically a Stake calling). Is there a better way to document this? I'm really trying to do away with custom callings. We have a couple that are going to have to remain but seminary teacher seems like one that should not need a custom calling...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd say it's Other Callings > Stake Seminary Teacher entered into the Stake MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

psnarula wrote:I created a custom calling for our seminary teacher and assigned him to the list of Out of Unit callings (since this is technically a Stake calling). Is there a better way to document this? I'm really trying to do away with custom callings. We have a couple that are going to have to remain but seminary teacher seems like one that should not need a custom calling...
There's no reason to "do away with custom callings." If there is not a standard calling that fits, by all means use a custom calling. There was never any intention that every appropriate calling would become a standard calling. And if a calling doesn't require any special treatment in MLS or any Church websites, there's no noticeable difference. So rather than trying to use a standard calling that doesn't fit (for example, a seminary teacher is not an Institute teacher), use a custom calling that accurately describes the calling. The only time you should not use a custom calling is when an appropriate standard calling does exist for that calling.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There is a standard position of Stake Seminary Teacher in stake MLS.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
psnarula

Post by psnarula »

If this calling gets recorded in Stake MLS, how will ward clerks see it in Ward MLS?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

MLS has changed. Callings are now synchronized with the CDOL and other church systems. I believe that after the appropriate send/receives and processing time, it will simply show up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

psnarula wrote:If this calling gets recorded in Stake MLS, how will ward clerks see it in Ward MLS?

As RussellHltn surmised, it will flow back to the ward MLS and appear as a Stake calling, along with any other stake callings members of the ward may have. This assumes that the stake enters it correctly and that everything flows through MLS to CDOL and back as it should. Most of ours are working.
gxwheel

Post by gxwheel »

lajackson wrote:it will flow back to the ward MLS and appear as a Stake calling,
I just checked this today and several stake callings that members of my ward have (including my calling as stake executive secretary) do not appear in my local ward's list of "out of unit" callings.

Any ideas why this wouldn't work? Both the stake and the ward are regularly performing "send/receive updates" steps.

Cheers, Gardner
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gxwheel wrote:Any ideas why this wouldn't work?

Are you sure it's recorded properly in the stake MLS? Can you log into CDOL? if not, then that's a strong hint that it's not recorded properly.

eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

gxwheel wrote:I just checked this today and several stake callings that members of my ward have (including my calling as stake executive secretary) do not appear in my local ward's list of "out of unit" callings.

Any ideas why this wouldn't work? Both the stake and the ward are regularly performing "send/receive updates" steps.

Cheers, Gardner
Where are you looking to see the stake callings? As far as I know they only show in two places: the Members with Callings report and on the Callings section of he Individual tab of the member's membership record. They do not show up in the Out of Unit callings tab of the Other Callings page in MLS or on the Callings by Organization report.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”