Meetinghouse Internet and Computer policies?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
gladewarner

Meetinghouse Internet and Computer policies?

Post by gladewarner »

We recently installed high-speed internet and wireless access in our meetinghouses. I have some questions on the use of this technology. I would appreciate advice and links to appropriate policies.

1. Who should have access to the Ward Clerk's computers? Some members don't have computers at home and would like to check email after church.

2. Are there ways to monitor internet usage? Can we access the firewall logs?

3. Who should be allowed to use the wireless password? I think the policy is "Stake Presidents and District Presidents should determine who they want to provide with this password and how they want to manage its distribution. These leaders should use discretion to ensure that wireless Internet access is used by those who will use it responsibly.” I would appreciate your thoughts and wisdom.

4. Should I leave the Ethernet ports throughout the building active always, or just patch them in when needed? (We have connection points in the gym, the library, and the Relief Society room, for example).

5. Is there a way to keep people from installing undesired software and browser plug-ins? on the Clerk's computers? Use software to do this?

6. How to block access to the DSL modem? (Currently I can browse to the IP address of the Qwest modem from a clerk’s computer to the other side of the firewall).

Thank you!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gladewarner wrote:Who should have access to the Ward Clerk's computers? Some members don't have computers at home and would like to check email after church.
Off the top of my head, I think the guidance is that the computer is for Church use, not personal use.

gladewarner wrote:Who should be allowed to use the wireless password? I think the policy is "Stake Presidents and District Presidents should determine who they want to provide with this password and how they want to manage its distribution. These leaders should use discretion to ensure that wireless Internet access is used by those who will use it responsibly.” I would appreciate your thoughts and wisdom.
What you've quoted is probably about all there is.
gladewarner wrote:How to block access to the DSL modem? (Currently I can browse to the IP address of the Qwest modem from a clerk’s computer to the other side of the firewall).

Not sure as I understand this. Is the firewall in place and doing it's job? How would anyone find the IP of the modem?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

gladewarner wrote:We recently installed high-speed internet and wireless access in our meetinghouses. I have some questions on the use of this technology. I would appreciate advice and links to appropriate policies.
Your STS should be your first stop to answer all these questions. If you are the STS then you may want to visit the Meetinghouse Technology Wiki. There is a lot of information there that will help understand the use of technology in the meetinghouse. Plicy information for internet use is found at the Policieslink.
gladewarner wrote:1. Who should have access to the Ward Clerk's computers? Some members don't have computers at home and would like to check email after church.
The administrative use policies are found in Handbook 2, 21.1.11 - Computers, and Policies and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping. The Handbook says
Where necessary, stake presidents arrange to make ward and stake computers available for members to use family history programs. Ward and stake computers are not authorized for other personal uses.
Personal use of the computers is not permitted.
gladewarner wrote:2. Are there ways to monitor internet usage? Can we access the firewall logs?
Similar questions have been discussed in the forums in the Tracking internet usage on wifi devices and Web Traffic Auditing @ Ward Buildings threads. There may be other similar discussions.
gladewarner wrote:3. Who should be allowed to use the wireless password? I think the policy is "Stake Presidents and District Presidents should determine who they want to provide with this password and how they want to manage its distribution. These leaders should use discretion to ensure that wireless Internet access is used by those who will use it responsibly.” I would appreciate your thoughts and wisdom.
As RussellHltn said, you have what there is on that subject.
gladewarner wrote:4. Should I leave the Ethernet ports throughout the building active always, or just patch them in when needed? (We have connection points in the gym, the library, and the Relief Society room, for example).
This is a matter of preference. Your stake president should decide this in counsel with the building bishops and the STS.
gladewarner wrote:5. Is there a way to keep people from installing undesired software and browser plug-ins? on the Clerk's computers? Use software to do this?
As long as a Windows user has admin rights it is quite difficult to prevent unauthorized software and browser plug-ins installations. Even power users can install most software not requiring the Windows installer. Keeping the access to administrative computers to those authorized will reduce the likelyhood of this happening. Periodic inspections are necessary to ensure policy adherance. When improper installations are found further training of those authorized to use the computers is a good reminder of Church policies.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”