General network access policies

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
bdhowe

General network access policies

Post by bdhowe »

I am a the new Stake Technology Clerk, and I'm trying to get a feel for existing policies and practices regarding member access to the wireless networks in the Stake. Each building in our stake has some wireless coverage, and the wireless keys are posted in every ward clerk's office, so they aren't secret, but not necessarily shared with the members at large.

I've been approached by a few people in the stake about improving wireless coverage for use in teaching lessons in the auxiliaries. I teach Gospel Doctrine in my ward, and I've quite often wished I had Internet access in class to access the exhaustive resources at LDS.org for my lessons.

My plan would be to use the excellent Ubiquity Unifi APs to blanket the classroom areas of the buildings usable wi-fi. These APs cost about about as much as a Linksys AP/Router you'd get at staples, come with PoE injectors, and allow Wi-fi clients to jump seamlessly between APs so you can cover the whole building with a single network (and WPA key). The trouble is they are ceiling mounted, so they would be visible in the hallways. They look like a white smoke detector, but with a greater diameter.

So I'd like to ask you all:

1) Where can I go to find out about official policies on Internet access?
2) What are some of your units doing about the access issue? Have you opened it up for classroom access? Is it simply up to the Stake President?
3) Has anybody else used these Ubiquity radios, or anything else that is mounted visibly?

I'm sure I'll have to contact the FM group for a final answer on the mounting issue, but I'd be interested to know how others have approached these issues.

Thanks!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Welcome to the forums.
bachisanerd wrote:Where can I go to find out about official policies on Internet access?
As an STS I hope you are familiar with the Meetinghouse Technology Wiki. It is a good repository of information on topics covering meetinghouse technologies. Within the Policies menu item is the Meetinghouse Internet policies and guidelines link. You will find that the stake is responsible for managing the internet access. There are little specifics on how that management is done. Local needs as well as the inspiration of the stake president with counsel from the STS, in this case you, will determine your stake's policies.

The rest of your questions I'll leave to others to answer since it has been nearly a year since I was an STS and a lot has changed since then.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
bdhowe

Post by bdhowe »

Thanks for the links. I was not aware of that wiki, so I'll go check it out now.
knaptonks

Post by knaptonks »

As a new STS, you may want to pay special attention to the Meetinghouse Technology newsletter section of the wiki. Be sure to sign up to receive it in your email.

Also, there is a standard WiFi AP (Cisco 1041) that should be used to provide wireless coverage to your meetinghouses. your FM can purchase it through the eMarket. Find more information about it in the wiki. The plan is to move away from the access key, and to use LDS account information instead - when the change occurs, these wireless APs will automatically change over. If you have your own devices in the building, with your own managed keys, you will have to re-configure each device yourself.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Just tried to open the April newsletter and there is a 'File damaged and cannot be repaired' error message when you try to open the PDF.

Here's the URL where that fails.

https://tech.lds.org/wikildstech/images ... 104_en.pdf
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JamesAnderson wrote:Just tried to open the April newsletter and there is a 'File damaged and cannot be repaired' error message when you try to open the PDF.

Hmm. It works fine for me, both following that link in Firefox, and downloading the PDF and opening it in Adobe Reader X. I think the file is fine, but there's some issue with your system when you try to open it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JamesAnderson wrote:Just tried to open the April newsletter and there is a 'File damaged and cannot be repaired' error message when you try to open the PDF.

Here's the URL where that fails.

https://tech.lds.org/wikildstech/images ... 104_en.pdf
I also had no problem viewing the file. You may want to make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”