RF tuner/demodulator

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
craiggsmith

RF tuner/demodulator

Post by craiggsmith »

Our current building video distribution system is RF, which isn't very projector-friendly. Does anyone know of a simple RF demodulator/tuner that could be used to convert RF signals to composite signals so I don't have to use a VCR? Thanks.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

craiggsmith wrote:Our current building video distribution system is RF, which isn't very projector-friendly. Does anyone know of a simple RF demodulator/tuner that could be used to convert RF signals to composite signals so I don't have to use a VCR?
What kind of problems are you having? With our projectors there is no need to use a device with a tuner and the picture is as expected. The sound is routed through the PA system and is adequate also.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:With our projectors there is no need to use a device with a tuner and the picture is as expected. The sound is routed through the PA system and is adequate also.

What kind of projector do you have? Except for the very first one (the old 3 CRT type) they haven't had tuners built-in. However, in our chapel we do have a video out on the stand so I don't need a tuner if I'm showing in there. Anywhere else, I do need a tuner.

In those cases I either use a VCR or a old Closed Captioning box.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:What kind of projector do you have? Except for the very first one (the old 3 CRT type) they haven't had tuners built-in. However, in our chapel we do have a video out on the stand so I don't need a tuner if I'm showing in there. Anywhere else, I do need a tuner.

In those cases I either use a VCR or a old Closed Captioning box.
We have the Sony VPL-EX4 and a older Dell. Our building setup is the same as yours. I forgot the other two feed locations needed a tuner since we have never used anything except televisions in those places. So if a projector is going to be used anywhere else other than the chapel a tuner would be needed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I would think there should be quite a few surplus CATV boxes floating around available for cheap that would do the job, as long as they were equipped with RCA jacks for audio/video output. They would certainly be smaller and more portable than an old VCR. If you choose to go this route, I would definitely stick with those that have power/channel/volume buttons on the front and avoid the models that can only be operated via remote.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks, yes, this is only for when I need to show a broadcast in the cultural hall.

I'll look for an old cable box, with buttons. I have often found remotes missing which has made the situation worse.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Satellite”