Email question:

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
zaneclark

Email question:

Post by zaneclark »

Can someone explain the exact difference in the 2 choices for sending email to all members? The choices look like this:
1. Entire Membership - one per Head of Household or
2. Entire Adult Membership - one per Head of Household.

The wording seems to indicate that a child could be the Head of Household.... But that doesn't seem right....

Zane
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

zaneclark wrote:The wording seems to indicate that a child could be the Head of Household.... But that doesn't seem right....
A child can be a head of houshold. There are several situations that this would be appropriate.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:The wording seems to indicate that a child could be the Head of Household.... But that doesn't seem right....

It's rare, but it can happen. See page A-6 of the MLS Software Manual: "In certain cases, the head of household may also be another member parent, a single member, or a member child whose parents are not members" (emphasis added).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

OK, you might have a child as head of household, but what I really would like to know is which choice is the best one to cover the most members with an email? It seems logical that the 1st choice which indicates entire membership would be best, but I have tried some test messages and there doesn't seem to be any difference in the number of members reached with either choice.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

An emancipated child is another situation where they can be head of household.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:OK, you might have a child as head of household, but what I really would like to know is which choice is the best one to cover the most members with an email? It seems logical that the 1st choice which indicates entire membership would be best, but I have tried some test messages and there doesn't seem to be any difference in the number of members reached with either choice.
Since a child being head of household is quite rare, it's entirely possible that for your ward or stake the two choices are exactly the same. If that's true, it doesn't matter which one you choose.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

zaneclark wrote:OK, you might have a child as head of household, but what I really would like to know is which choice is the best one to cover the most members with an email? It seems logical that the 1st choice which indicates entire membership would be best, but I have tried some test messages and there doesn't seem to be any difference in the number of members reached with either choice.
In a unit that does not have a child as head of household there will be no difference in the number of households to which the message is sent. I would use the Entire Membership choice when looking to cover all households.
JD Lessley
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

zaneclark wrote:and there doesn't seem to be any difference in the number of members reached with either choice.

Do you have any children has head of house in your stake? While it's possible, I don't think it's at all common.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

zaneclark wrote:Can someone explain the exact difference in the 2 choices for sending email to all members? The choices look like this:
1. Entire Membership - one per Head of Household or
2. Entire Adult Membership - one per Head of Household.

Quite apart from the child issue, I don't understand this wording. Where is it found?

If I really wanted to send to the "entire adult membership," I would want to send messages to both spouses, using each Individual Email (if present) as the first choice, falling back to the Household Email if necessary.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

RossEvans wrote:Quite apart from the child issue, I don't understand this wording. Where is it found?.

On the Leader and Clerk Resources page, when you click on "Send a Message" it gives you several choices, including the ones I have listed.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”