Cisco 881

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Cisco 881

Post by johnshaw »

I'm looking for experiences with installing the new firewall and existing Cisco WAP (1321 or 1424). I heard some disturbing news (from the GSD) that they wouldn't be compatible for some reason, which would change my strategy for deploying wireless in Meetinghouses. My experience with GSD is that in many cases I don't get correct information, so I'm looking for some validation.
bradhokanson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bradhokanson »

JohnShaw wrote:I'm looking for experiences with installing the new firewall and existing Cisco WAP (1321 or 1424). I heard some disturbing news (from the GSD) that they wouldn't be compatible for some reason, which would change my strategy for deploying wireless in Meetinghouses. My experience with GSD is that in many cases I don't get correct information, so I'm looking for some validation.

The new 881s use the 1041n aps. All the Aps are centrally administered at CHQ.
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

Facebook and the new 881 firewall

The default 881 filtering for a non FHC meetinghouse is "General Access" and it will allow the facebook.com web site to open with some text but appears to not allow Java or flash (etc.) to run

For additional information about firewall filtering see some of aebrown's postings such as
LDSAccess Security Provisionshttps://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?7025-LDSAccess-Security-Provisions/page3
Firewall exception
Thanks,
:cool:Your Fellow Member,
Pete Arnett
Sunny South Florida, USA
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

That's odd about not allowing Flash in General Access, because nFS requires Flash 9.1 or higher to run (can't use nFS then in family history classes or demonstrations), and if you wanted to show a Mormon Messages video you're out of luck too as those are embedded from Youtube onto pages at lds.org and Youtube uses Flash, that's part of the whole war between Apple and Adobe as that goes as well.

Another page that requires Flash is Mormon Channel, the popup that comes up when you click the 'Listen Now' button is a Flash player that was customized so that it displays the information about the current program that is airing. I've heard it said somewhere recently regariding Mormon Channel and meetinghouse Internet was that clerks or whoever could have that on while they are doing work in the clerk's office, and it could end up introducing members to the online station as well because they could hear it while waiting for interviews, etc.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

pete.arnett wrote:The default 881 filtering for a non FHC meetinghouse is "General Access" and it will allow the facebook.com web site to open with some text but appears to not allow Java or flash (etc.) to run

If the 881's filtering doesn't allow Flash or Java, then it is different from the regular General Access on the PIX 501 or the ASA 5505, since on both of those I have been able to watch Flash-based videos and do FamilySearch Indexing, which uses Java.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

I believe most likely it is the content delivery address fbcdn.net that is being blocked
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Could be, it is thus possible that due to that it is messing up everything, even the sites that the Church has set up on Facebook as their official pages there.
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

JohnShaw wrote:I'm looking for experiences with installing the new firewall and existing Cisco WAP (1321 or 1424). I heard some disturbing news (from the GSD) that they wouldn't be compatible for some reason, which would change my strategy for deploying wireless in Meetinghouses. My experience with GSD is that in many cases I don't get correct information, so I'm looking for some validation.

Our STS just installed and configured a new Cisco 881 to replace an old Cisco PIX that failed. When he plugged in the existing old WAP, it was recognized immediatly and started working. There doesn't seem to be a compatibility problem between the old WAPs and the 881.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Freedom55... Are you referring to old WAP's meaning a Cisco WAP 123x or 124x... or are you talking about a consumer model, d-link, linksys, etc...?
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

Hi JohnShaw. I didn't question the STS on the model number - I'll check with him and get back to you. I can tell you that the WAPs were originally installed at the same time as the PIX, that is they were all part of the original installation and my understanding is that they were Cisco units. I'll confirm.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”