Fund-Raising

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jackw9862

Fund-Raising

Post by jackw9862 »

I raised an issue with my Bishop regarding fund-raising. As I read the policy in Handbook 2, it would seem to allow only two fund-raisers per year; one for Friends of Scouting and one total for youth activities (camps, equipment). My Bishop thinks that YW can do one, YM can do another, and that scouts can do whatever they want. I am not looking to argue with him, just wanting to know if there is any more definitive guidance. Thanks, Jack Wilson, Finance Clerk
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jackw9862 wrote:As I read the policy in Handbook 2, it would seem to allow only two fund-raisers per year; one for Friends of Scouting and one total for youth activities (camps, equipment). My Bishop thinks that YW can do one, YM can do another, and that scouts can do whatever they want. I am not looking to argue with him, just wanting to know if there is any more definitive guidance.

There was some change in the policy in the new handbook, and your question hits the significant change. I'm pretty sure there is no more definitive guidance at this point. We could offer our own opinions, but for your area, the bishop and stake president would be responsible for interpreting section 13.6.8 of Handbook 2 (subject, of course, to additional guidance that may come in the future from Church headquarters or from your area presidency).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jackw9862 wrote:My Bishop thinks that YW can do one, YM can do another, and that scouts can do whatever they want.
This is not entirely correct. Handbook 2, 13.6.8 along with 13.2.8 and 13.2.9 provide the guidance. In the fourth paragraph of 13.2.8 are listed the purposes for the exception to fund-raising policy. Note that item 1 says "One annual extended Scout camp or similar activity for young men." Scouts cannot do whatever they want. Their fund-raising is subject to the same limitations. Since some young men choose not to participate in Scouting (or it is not available) this statement accommodates those young men and does not exclude them from an activity suported by a fund-raiser.

The question that has been debated for many years is the interpretation of the words "one group fund-raising activity" found in the first paragraph of 13.6.8. Similar wording was found in the previous Church Handbook of Intstructions. One interpretation is that there can only be one overall unit fund-raiser. Another interpretation is that each youth organization can have one fund-raiser for their "one annual camp or similar activity". Some would go so far as to say that the Boy Scout camp fundraiser for the younger young men can be separate from the high adventure fundraiser for the older young men. I have even heard debate that another fund-raiser "to help purchase equipment that the unit needs for annual camps" is permitted since it is listed as a separate purpose in the first paragraph of 13.6.8 as well as separately defined in 13.2.9

As aebrown stated previously, regardless of our interpretations here in these forums it is the responsibility of the stake president and bishop to make their interpretation. If they have any questions they can always take it to the next higher authority.

The Friends of Scouting fund-raising is a separate event held by the BSA. It is not sponsored by the Church. The addition of the mention of the FoS in the Handbook, IMO, is to clarify that it is permitted since it is separate from any Church fund-raising activity for the purposes outlined in 13.2.8 and 13.2.9.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

jdlessley wrote:The Friends of Scouting fund-raising is a separate event held by the BSA. It is not sponsored by the Church. The addition of the mention of the FoS in the Handbook, IMO, is to clarify that it is permitted since it is separate from any Church fund-raising activity for the purposes outlined in 13.2.8 and 13.2.9.
And that this should be held separately and in addition to unit fundraisers makes sense since the money raised by FoS doesn't directly support the local troop; it supports the council.
greggo

Post by greggo »

jdlessley wrote:The question that has been debated for many years is the interpretation of the words "one group fund-raising activity" found in the first paragraph of 13.6.8. Similar wording was found in the previous Church Handbook of Intstructions.
There is also a church approved document called "Scouting and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" published by the BSA LDS Relationships Office (which has been revised to include reference to the new handbooks of instruction). It can be found at http://ldsbsa.org/pdf/resources/Booklet_Scouting%20in%20the%20Church%20Second%20Edition.pdf.
The topic of fund-raising is addressed on pages 10 and 11.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

With each FoS announcement in our meetings, we are reminding members that these donations are seperate from the sacred donations that get handed through the Bishopric and run through the MLS system. My understanding (which has been conveyed to the clerks in our stake) is that checks should be made out to BSA or the local council and handed to the rep. They should not be put on donation slips and no AMFA account should be set up for them. We have at least one unit with an AMFA account designated for FoS and I invited them to 0 out that account during the drive this year then deactivate it.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

greggo wrote:There is also a church approved document called "Scouting and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" published by the BSA LDS Relationships Office (which has been revised to include reference to the new handbooks of instruction). It can be found at http://ldsbsa.org/pdf/resources/Booklet_Scouting%20in%20the%20Church%20Second%20Edition.pdf.
The topic of fund-raising is addressed on pages 10 and 11.
I see no evidence that this document has been revised for the new handbooks. It still uses the old term "Church Handbook of Instructions". I also see no evidence that this document has been approved by the Church. It is an official document of the BSA, but not of the Church, as near as I can tell.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
greggo

Post by greggo »

aebrown wrote:I see no evidence that this document has been revised for the new handbooks. It still uses the old term "Church Handbook of Instructions". I also see no evidence that this document has been approved by the Church. It is an official document of the BSA, but not of the Church, as near as I can tell.

My bad. When I saw references were updated from the previous version to include book and section numbers, I assumed they were for the new handbook (I was wrong). This 2010 edition must have been revised prior to the introduction of the new handbooks.

Doesn't the inclusion of the church's logo mean that the church has approved it to be published?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

greggo wrote:
aebrown wrote:II also see no evidence that this document has been approved by the Church. It is an official document of the BSA, but not of the Church, as near as I can tell.

Doesn't the inclusion of the church's logo mean that the church has approved it to be published?
Scouting and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is published by the BSA-LDS Relationships office of the BSA. It is a liaison office that works closely with the Church.

In my training over a decade and a half ago as a Scout leader I was instructed that the Scouting and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints document was only to be considered a resource to be used, but not the final word on matters regarding Church policy and procedure. Within the Church, USA units, we were (are) to refer to the Handbook (then the Church Handbook of Instructions), other Church publications such as Scouting Handbook, USA, and local priesthood leadership for authoritative Church guidance.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:Scouting and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is published by the BSA-LDS Relationships office of the BSA. It is a liaison office that works closely with the Church.

At the bottom of the Table of Contents on page iii, it says:
This is an official publication of the Boy Scouts of America and is intended for the use of professional and volunteer Scout leaders on a national, council, and district level in servicing the Scouting units in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Back in the introductory letter on page i, it refers to the Scouting Handbook, a work that is published by the Church.

As for fundraising discussed on page 10, while the guidelines are close, they do not exactly match the Handbook, which should prevail in Church units.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”