Does information on a membership record transfer?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
danpass

Post by danpass »

greggo wrote:I agree with you, but there can be many exceptions.

Along with the YSA ward moves, there are other moves such as different language units or just to move a member into the correct unit, because their current address is outside their current unit's boundaries.

I don't think the default should be to keep the current data (except for cell phones) when a move is initiated in MLS, but it would be nice to have a checkbox to retain the data if desired. This seems better/easier/less confusing than using the boundary realignment feature when the boundaries are not actually being realigned.
greggo, are you and Greggo-p40 one and the same? If so, you made similar comments here a couple of years ago.
ericwerny wrote:We at least the issue got discussed and some ideas came out of it. I like the idea of the check box to retain the info. And I do agree with the concept of retaining the phone number.

One thing that get ignored in all these processes is man hours and how long it take to perform a function, and the use of paper to print off records so the information can be reentered into the member transfer.
I suggested this checkbox idea a couple of years ago in the same thread I linked to above. Hopefully this new discussion of the topic will lead to this feature being included in a future MLS release.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

When I moved all of the members of our YSA branch to the new YSA Ward and Stake, I used the boundary realignment function. As I recall, you can either select specific records to move or select all records. All of our records were moved to the new ward intact. AFIK, if I had information in a record, the new ward received it. At least that was the case for my three kids that were included in the move. One possible hitch that might be there is when you move someone who is not a Head of Household - not sure if the household phone would follow them.

If you're using the Move Records Out function, I'm pretty sure you need to type in the address and phone info. If the ward the record is going to is known and those blocks are filled in, I think you can send a record to them without filling in location information but the new ward won't know where they live. In which case the "retain info" capability would be nice.
jwtaber

Post by jwtaber »

ericwerny wrote:I just love it when you in the middle of tithing entry and a ward leader will come in and ask for a report, and you tell them sorry you'll have to wait. You see the "I want it now" mentality spring forth, and you're waiting for them to start stamping there feet because you tell them to come back in about an hour. I know many of you have experienced this one at least once in your life :) :) Life as a clerk --- IS AN ADVENTURE!!
Back in the days of MIS and FIS as separate programs, we would keep both running and Alt + Tab between them.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jwtaber wrote:Back in the days of MIS and FIS as separate programs, we would keep both running and Alt + Tab between them.

If you were lucky enough to have a Windows machine. In that era we moved Windows machines to the FHC where DOS machines were very limiting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

ericwerny wrote:I just love it when you in the middle of tithing entry and a ward leader will come in and ask for a report, and you tell them sorry you'll have to wait.
May I suggest you keep the Clerk office locked during tithing entry. Tithing is confidential and only Bishopric members and Clerks should have access to the Clerk's office during these times. Politely tell them you will get their report as soon as you can but they must leave the office during recording of Tithing Deposits.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

davesudweeks wrote:May I suggest you keep the Clerk office locked during tithing entry. Tithing is confidential and only Bishopric members and Clerks should have access to the Clerk's office during these times. Politely tell them you will get their report as soon as you can but they must leave the office during recording of Tithing Deposits.

Works great unless it's the bishop or a counselor asking. ;)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

idjeeper2 wrote:Works great unless it's the bishop or a counselor asking. ;)

Have him stay and help you count. [grin]

Or nicely ask if the report will wait for a few minutes until the deposit is complete. They, of all people, should understand what is going on and be willing to work with you.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

Not to worry, they're easy to work with. Hence the wink. In general, our auxiliaries are so anxious to get home that they are rarely a problem.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

lajackson wrote:Have him stay and help you count. [grin]

Or nicely ask if the report will wait for a few minutes until the deposit is complete. They, of all people, should understand what is going on and be willing to work with you.
We have it better than that. Both Counselors stay and open/count while the Finance Clerk runs the computer. Our Stake is extremely picky that when the training says 2 people opening and counting, one opening and one running the computer does not comply so we started doing it this way. This means we can't start doing tithing until after the "immediate after church stuff" is complete. Since we don't have any Sunday meetings before or after church, we don't have to wait long and it gives the Auxiliaries time to get a report or two if needed before they leave.
jhigbee

Post by jhigbee »

I made our second YSA records transfer this week. The first time I noted (as all of you I’m sure realize) that you can’t use the Boundary Realignment (BR) function to pick out individual young people to transfer who are in a household (that function is only set up to transfer the entire household). It in fact gives a stern warning at the bottom that it is ONLY to be used for boundary realignment, which seems inappropriately stern when there’s no other decent option for transferring multiple YSA records to the new singles wards. So in that YSA multiple-transfer, I went thru the laborious process of not only repeating each of their addresses and phone numbers (as Jeeper2 has previously posted), but also I had to key in the name and unit number for the new YSA ward in our area for each one (although one really doesn’t have to enter the Stake info, even though hit asks for it).

So after reviewing this thread of posts, for my second YSA multiple-transfer, I decided to still try the BR function by first pulling out each of the YSA people to be transferred, and make them their own head-of-household (HoH), which unfortunately still means you have to re-enter their address and phone info. But it still enabled me to use the BR function to move them at once to the YSA ward. Since I could do this all at the same sitting (even though I first hit “Send” for the HoH changes), this wasn’t too bad of a process.
Note: In using the BR function, you DO in fact have to key in the complete unit info for both the YSA ward and stake; but that’s still more convenient than the individual records transfer process I described for my first multiple-transfer.

But I still 2nd the motion that it would sure be nice with these YSA transfers if either 1) the BR function could be modified (possibly by a bypass of the default as has been discussed here) to pick out YSA individuals from their households, thereby keeping their address and phone info (yes, including cell phones as you noted Bro. Jackson), or 2) (preferable) another function be added all together to make these multiple-YSA transfers while retaining all of their contact info (which would decrease the opportunity for errors when clerks have to re-enter all the info again). It would be nice if one of these options could be made rather quickly, as there are still a lot of YSA multiple-records transfers to be made in Salt Lake Davis and Utah counties over the next month or so.

Return to “Membership Help”