Unable to specify the correct high priests group secretary

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ataylor32

Unable to specify the correct high priests group secretary

Post by ataylor32 »

Our ward recently got a new high priests group secretary, so I went into MLS, removed the old secretary, and started the process of adding a new one. While scrolling through the list of individuals, I noticed that he was not in the list of high priests, so I changed the list so that everybody would be shown regardless of their priesthood office. He wasn't there! His son (whose priesthood office is teacher) was there, but not him.

I went into his record, went to the "Ordinance" section, and looked under "Priesthood Ordinances". There were two (seventy and elder).

Why am I not able to add him as the new high priests group secretary?

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ataylor32 wrote:I went into his record, went to the "Ordinance" section, and looked under "Priesthood Ordinances". There were two (seventy and elder).

Are you saying the secretary hasn't been ordained as a High Priest? If so, that's the problem. See Handbook 2: 7.3.3
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ataylor32

Post by ataylor32 »

Thanks for the reply. When I specify that the list should show all of the males of priesthood-holding age (and not just high priests), many more people show up, including unordained individuals. As I mentioned before, his son (whose priesthood office is teacher) is in the list. It seems like if it was an absolute requirement for the high priests group secretary to be a high priest, I wouldn't even have the option to change the list to show all males of priesthood-holding age.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Are you saying the secretary hasn't been ordained as a High Priest? If so, that's the problem. See Handbook 2: 7.3.3
Although the Handbook quote is certainly relevant, it has nothing to do with the inability to specify an Elder as High Priests Group Secretary. MLS will allow an Elder to be specified as the HPG secretary, as long as he is a member of the High Priests organization. I'm sure that's the problem here; add the brother as a member of the organization, then he can be specified as the HPG secretary. The son is probably listed because he is considered a prospective elder, and thus was automatically moved to the HP organization.

Whether or not you should do that is an entirely different question; the bishop and HPGL would need to discuss the Handbook and the particular situation.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

When a high priest ordination is recorded in MLS the member will automatically be moved into the high priest group in MLS. If he is not a high priest he must be removed from the elders quorum. In the process of removing him from the elders quorum the destination organization, high priests, can be selected. Once in the high priests group his name will appear on the list.

As noted by aebrown only members of the organization will appear on the list. Any adult male member can be included in the organization under MLS programming, whether ordained or not.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ataylor32

Post by ataylor32 »

Ah, that makes sense. I will look into that the next time I am at the computer. Thank you very much!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”