Export/Import Highlights and Notes

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
tertullian01

Export/Import Highlights and Notes

Post by tertullian01 »

I just switched phones from a Nexus One to HTC Evo....I recently started taking notes and highlighting in my scriptures on my phone. Now I don't see way to get those highlights from one phone to the other....Any recommendations?
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

Currently Gospel Library doesn't have the ability to port notes from one device to another. We are about to release our 2.0 version that will expand the library and we have tentatively planned to be able to sync notes and annotations with LDS.org on version 2.1. Thoug we can't say exactly when that will be released, we hope to have it available within a couple of months from the 2.0 release.

Some creative guys have been able to pull annotations out of the app on their own and maybe some of them can respond with ideas until we can do it within the app.
Jason Hyer
leonbamforth

exporting notes

Post by leonbamforth »

I appreciate this post is a little bit out of date for the poster, but I would have appreciated the following information:
After having a dig round I found the notes you make are saved to the file:
[SD CARD]:\Android\data\org.lds.ldssa\files\gospel-library\CONTENT_LIBRARY
(Note: this is only if you have put the Gospel library app to your SD card)

I copied this file to my computer then opened it with a text editor and searched for a line I had put in to the notes and hey presto there are all there!
... however it is not very readable. The file heading says the file is in sqlite format 3 so I downloaded Sqlite3Explorer from:
http://www.singular.gr/sqlite
downloaded
http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite-dll-win32-x86-3070800.zip (as shown on http://www.sqlite.org/download.html)
and put the sqlite.dll in my c:\windows\system32 directory (so it would be in my path - if I could have been bothered I could have put in a different folder and added that folder to my windows path)

I then opened the Sqlite3Explorer.exe (which will not work without the .dll) and opened the CONTENT_LIBRARY file. There is a folder called notes, if you right click on it and click 'show data' then your notes are displayed as rows in the sqlite database.

If you are still not happy you can, in Sqlite3Explorer with these results showing, click on 'file' and click on 'Save Result set as XML'.

I now have all my notes on my desktop in XML format to do with as I see fit.

If only they add a community to allow your notes to be shared and read other people's shared notes, and if only they would give a bit more flexibility about how you write notes/highlight (for a line, chapter, set of chapters - all of king Benjamin's speech for example or book). There are some interesting times coming... : )

p.s. I know you are all doing it for free, and if I ever get time I might sign up to add it myself! :p

edit: in terms of actually answering the question I imagine just copy the CONTENT_LIBRARY file from your old phone SD card onto your new phone SD card will do the trick. I am a lot happier knowing I have that file as a backup in case anything goes wrong with my SD card.

Even easier for you: just take the old phones SD card and put it in the new phone?!?!
tertullian01

Post by tertullian01 »

jasonhyer wrote:Currently Gospel Library doesn't have the ability to port notes from one device to another. We are about to release our 2.0 version that will expand the library and we have tentatively planned to be able to sync notes and annotations with LDS.org on version 2.1. Thoug we can't say exactly when that will be released, we hope to have it available within a couple of months from the 2.0 release.

Some creative guys have been able to pull annotations out of the app on their own and maybe some of them can respond with ideas until we can do it within the app.

Any update on when this might be available? I now have a tablet and phone that all have the gospel library installed. It would be great sync across multiple devices.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”