What constitutes "Elders" roll and "High Priests" roll?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
andcal

What constitutes "Elders" roll and "High Priests" roll?

Post by andcal »

I am a ward clerk (fairly new).
My HP group leader is asking me why certain non-high priests appear on his "High Priests" roll.
I assume that this list is the same list of names shown when you click on the link "High Priests" in the Quarterly Report to see which individuals should be counted for that statistic. Either way, I need to find out what rules dictate what names end up on this/these lists.
I think some of the names in question (appearing on the "HP" roll) are prospective elders, but I am pretty sure some are also elders.
If certain individuals who are not High Priests have somehow been designated to appear on the "High Priests" roll by a previous leader, how do I undo that action, if the current leaders ask me to do so?
I have been asked by the bishop to meet with the HPGL Wednesday night and see what we can do to straighten this out. Any insight I can get would be appreciated.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

andcal wrote:My HP group leader is asking me why certain non-high priests appear on his "High Priests" roll.

Those who appear on the High Priests roll are all those who are assigned to the High Priests organization. Men will be assigned to the High Priests organization when:
  1. They are ordained High Priests.
  2. They become Prospective Elders (they turn 19 and do not hold the Melchizedek Priesthood, or are under 19 and get married)
  3. They are manually moved into the High Priests organization.
andcal wrote:I assume that this list is the same list of names shown when you click on the link "High Priests" in the Quarterly Report to see which individuals should be counted for that statistic. Either way, I need to find out what rules dictate what names end up on this/these lists.
There is no link on the Quarterly Report for "High Priests." There is one for "Prospective Elders," which will answer part of your question.
andcal wrote:I think some of the names in question (appearing on the "HP" roll) are prospective elders, but I am pretty sure some are also elders.

An Elder should not automatically appear in the High Priests organization, but an Elder can be moved manually to the HP. That can be done by going to Organizations > High Priests, and then in the Members section click "Add Members"; or you can go to the Elders organization, and by a member click his Remove link, and then choose High Priests as the destination organization.
andcal wrote:If certain individuals who are not High Priests have somehow been designated to appear on the "High Priests" roll by a previous leader, how do I undo that action, if the current leaders ask me to do so?

You can manually move members, as I indicated in the previous section. But note that Prospective Elders are properly the responsibility of the HP organization. They may be moved to the Elders Quorum if the bishop and priesthood leaders agree his best interests would be served there, but that should not be the default action.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

aebrown wrote:But note that Prospective Elders are properly the responsibility of the HP organization. They may be moved to the Elders Quorum if the bishop and priesthood leaders agree his best interests would be served there, but that should not be the default action.
My understanding was that this changed with the 2010 edition of the handbooks. If I recall correctly in 2010 or 2009, there was a policy letter that stated what you have said, but the current handbook now reads:
Quorum and group leaders have the responsibility to help prospective elders prepare to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood. The bishop counsels with quorum and group leaders and each prospective elder to determine whether the prospective elder should meet with the elders quorum or the high priests group for instruction and activities. The bishop considers the relationships the prospective elder may have with the elders or high priests in the ward and the age and needs of the prospective elder. (Book 2, 7.6.1)
So it might be more accurate to say the default behavior of MLS is to assign them to the high priests group, but the bishop and priesthood leaders should consider each individual and determine if the default action is appropriate.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nutterb wrote:So it might be more accurate to say the default behavior of MLS is to assign them to the high priests group, but the bishop and priesthood leaders should consider each individual and determine if the default action is appropriate.

Thanks for that clarification. I guess I missed that change in my reading of the new handbook -- I certainly appreciate your bringing that to my attention.

As you say, MLS clearly still has the default behavior of moving prospective elders to the HP organization. It's helpful to move new prospective elders automatically into the MP organization somehow, and the HPG is a reasonable choice. But the handbook does make it clear that the needs of each prospective elder should be carefully considered by the bishop, MP leaders, and the prospective elder to determine which quorum takes responsibility.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”