Full name on email to ward

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
zaneclark

Full name on email to ward

Post by zaneclark »

I have started using the email on the new site to send notices to my ward, which works well, but in the "from" line, my full name is spelled out like this: Brother XXXX XXXX XXXX including my first name which I never use. All of the other directories default to my preferred middle name. Is there any way to get the new site to use the preferred name in my emails?

I sent this to feedback several weeks ago but haven't heard back from them so I thought I would post it here.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote: Is there any way to get the new site to use the preferred name in my emails?

Each message I send or receive seems to have only the preferred name listed as the sender, not the full name. My message looks like this:
You have received this email because you have made your email address available to your local Church leaders.
It was sent from: Brother <first> <last>
Whose calling is: <calling>

To un-subscribe from future email messages from ward or stake members follow
https://lds.org/directory
click on "My Family" then click on "Edit Profile" and remove your email address from your profile. If you are not a head of household you may ask your parent/guardian to edit your profile or you may also contact your ward clerk and ask him to remove your email address from MLS.
And the message sender is listed exactly like the name after "It was sent from: " (including the "Brother"). There is no middle name listed either place. And all the recipients are displayed with their MLS preferred name.

Now, I don't go by my middle name, nor does any sender of a message I've received thus far. But it seems like it would either use the preferred name or not. Yet your preferred name is not being used, but mine is. I know it's not using my Display Name from my LDS Account, so I can only imagine it is using my MLS preferred name, just as it appears in the Directory and Calendar. I can't explain why your preferred name is not used.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Thank you....I will check the MLS again but as my preferred name is listed on the new directory, I'm sure it is also set in MLS...
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

FWIW zaneclark, I have the same issue. My emails go out with:

You have received this email because you have made your email address available to your local Church leaders.
It was sent from: Bishop Anthony J. Smith
Whose calling is: Bishop

It seems so formal when everyone knows me by my nickname Bishop Tony Smith (a made up example). Especially when I am sending out an invitation to say, a primary activity.
Also, when it says "sent from Bishop ....." can't people figure out my calling is bishop without being told?

The preferred name is just a funny little quirk that I hope they fix some day. I also have sent feedback through the regular channels. I understand the "Bishop.... who's calling is bishop" is just one of those things that happen when you try to make something that works for everyone and doesn't quite.
cognifloyd

Post by cognifloyd »

To prevent showing my full name in a variety of church apps, I had to change my "Display Name" in my LDSAccount settings.

To do that login at: https://ldsaccount.lds.org Click on the edit link to edit your profile information and modify your Display name.

Note that I haven't sent email using the directory, so I don't know for sure if this will fix this particular issue for you, but it's worth a shot.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

techgurufloyd wrote:To prevent showing my full name in a variety of church apps, I had to change my "Display Name" in my LDSAccount settings.

To do that login at: https://ldsaccount.lds.org Click on the edit link to edit your profile information and modify your Display name.

Note that I haven't sent email using the directory, so I don't know for sure if this will fix this particular issue for you, but it's worth a shot.

It worked! At least it got rid of my first name which I never use... It still has the "Brother" but I can live with that.... Thank You!
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

It doesn't work for me. My "display name" is "Tony Smith" but emails are still signed "Bishop Anthony J. Smith."

BTW: I think I found out that if I were to put only "Tony" in the display name spot, "Tony" is what is printed out on the cards I turn into the temple for family names from New Family Search.
jimhyer

Post by jimhyer »

It did not work for me either, I have changed display name to Jim, I still get James Randall. I also have Jim in MLS as preferred name. Which is not terrible for me but we have leaders who would not be recognized if the legal name is used. Do I need to wait for a day?
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

It doesn't look like this was fixed. My preferred name is set in MLS and shows up correctly in the online ward directory ("Glen Walker"). My display name is set on my lds account as just my first name ("Glen") but I don't see where that's used anywhere (not even this posting). However, when I "send a message", it says it's from "Glen Richard Walker". Neither the preferred name or display name is being used. (My preferred name and display name were set months ago so it's not a matter of waiting a few days for the databases to get in sync)
ChadLarsen

Post by ChadLarsen »

This worked for me to update my first name at https://ldsaccount.lds.org It had my first and middle name in the First Name field under my profile information for my LDS account. Now when I send emails it has my middle (which now in the first name field) and last name, which what everyone knows me by.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”