Foreign Language Name Pronunciation Tutoring

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
srweight

Foreign Language Name Pronunciation Tutoring

Post by srweight »

:rolleyes: Here is a little LDS.org functionality that I could really use. I need to be able to pronounce the names for several different languages as I work in the temple. I would love to see part of the site with a section for several languages that would
[list]
[*]give some general rules for the spelling and it’s pronunciation
[*]let me see and hear the 100 most common names for male, female, and surnames[/list]Now really that wouldn’t be much to ask of a good web-based tutor?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sounds like a good byu.edu task. :cool:
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

srweight wrote::rolleyes: Here is a little LDS.org functionality that I could really use. I need to be able to pronounce the names for several different languages as I work in the temple. I would love to see part of the site with a section for several languages that would[list]
[*]give some general rules for the spelling and it’s pronunciation
[*]let me see and hear the 100 most common names for male, female, and surnames[/list]Now really that wouldn’t be much to ask of a good web-based tutor?
Cool idea! I'll pass it along. The tough part would be figuring out the common names. Because names change over time. So what was common names 100 years ago in Mexico may not be the same that were common 50 years ago.

Tom
srweight

It's not the names that would count

Post by srweight »

tomw wrote:Cool idea! I'll pass it along. The tough part would be figuring out the common names. Because names change over time. So what was common names 100 years ago in Mexico may not be the same that were common 50 years ago.

Tom

It's really the general rules for pronouncing the sounds and what they sound like in the spellings of any names in the selected language that would be helpful.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

The other side of this equation would be figuring out how to more easily distinguish the background of the names on temple cards. Have the names been romanized? When the individuals are from the country of name origin it is easier to distinguish.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

And if the name has been romanized maybe even a pronunciation version of the name under the full name of the person. That way you do not even need to know the rules of the language just how to read the pronunciation guide.
- David

Return to “Main Church Website”