Linked-In?

Interested in working for the Church? Ask questions and discuss opportunities with recruiters here.
nicholsjp-p40

Linked-In?

Post by nicholsjp-p40 »

Linked-in is quickly becoming a significant part of the I.T. Recruiter's on line arsenal. For some it is the primary tool for identifying the passive candidate*.

For those that don't know what linked-in (http://www.linkedin.com) does, it is a place you could go to post as little or as much information that you want others to know about your professional life for networking purposes. It is a free-to-post site designed around business networking and is far less of a personal "social" network than myspace or facebook--although many recruiters I know also use those channels to recruit.

I am curious to know from the community how they use Linked-in. Do you feel comfortable posting a resume or employment details out there or does this information flow make you nervous?

By the way, I am an Open link user and a member of the LDS Connect group on Linked-in. If anyone who is registered would like to invite me to their network (and vice-versa) they can use this link: http://tinyurl.com/2phamz Alternately, you could also do a search for my name in linked-in and invite me to connect.

Justin Nichols
ICS Recruiting

*Passive Candidates are those that are employed and not actively looking for a job, but would be willing to discuss certain new opportunities.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I want to remind everyone that if they are interested in joining the LDS Connected group in Linked In, visit this link.

tom
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

I recently signed up for a LinkedIn account and have been very impressed with it. I found a bunch of old colleagues and school friends and even received an unsolicited offer to do some contract work. I went ahead and put quite a bit of resume-type data on my LinkedIn page. I think it is helpful to be as specific as possible otherwise it defeats the purpose of being in a business network.

If I were looking for work I think LinkedIn would be a valuable resource. I typically fall into the Passive Candidate category though. My last three jobs were made possible because I was open to discussing opportunities even though I wasn't actively looking. I think LinkedIn would be a great resource for that as well.

Since I'm relatively new to LinkedIn all I have are initial impressions but I think it is a great idea!

My two cents...
Recruiter-p40

Linked In Contest.,,

Post by Recruiter-p40 »

bhofmann wrote:I recently signed up for a LinkedIn account and have been very impressed with it. I found a bunch of old colleagues and school friends and even received an unsolicited offer to do some contract work. I went ahead and put quite a bit of resume-type data on my LinkedIn page. I think it is helpful to be as specific as possible otherwise it defeats the purpose of being in a business network.

If I were looking for work I think LinkedIn would be a valuable resource. I typically fall into the Passive Candidate category though. My last three jobs were made possible because I was open to discussing opportunities even though I wasn't actively looking. I think LinkedIn would be a great resource for that as well.

Since I'm relatively new to LinkedIn all I have are initial impressions but I think it is a great idea!

My two cents...
:cool:We have had a lot of luck with linked In. At the Church, we currently have a contest (Beta) to see who can obtain the most (first generation) contacts. There are about 20 people participating. The amount of contacts the participants are gathering is amazing. The contest lasts for two months. At the end of the contest we will all see who has the most contacts and the won with the most wins. We then will all link up with each other. I imagine we will all have increased our contacts by a major amount. There are a few people who have eclipsed 140 in the first couple of weeks. We hope to be able to network with more LDS people around the country to help us locate technical talent. If you would like to network with me in Linked In, my name is Travis Lawrence, I work for the LDS Church. PS: Recruiters don't participate in the contest.

Return to “Technical Recruiting”