Trying to change cell number from displaying in ward directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
cgarlock

Trying to change cell number from displaying in ward directory

Post by cgarlock »

I don't want my cell number displayed in the ward directory and went into "edit profile" and "unclicked" the little "show in ward directory" box and kept getting a dialog box stating that phone numbers could only utilize numerals and spaces. It did not reflect my changes in the profile by just doing that.
I took out the dashes, tried to save changes and got the same dialog box and my changes were still not reflectd in the profile. I removed the number all together, so that the cell number box was blank, tried to save changes, got the same dialog box and my changes were still not reflected in the profile.
All numbers I've ever seen displayed have included the dashes and some with (M) for mobile so I find the dialog box confusing, but I really don't care about that - I just want to remove my cell number from the ward directory.
How can I successfully keep my cell number from displaying in my ward directory?
Thanks
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

cgarlock wrote:I don't want my cell number displayed in the ward directory and went into "edit profile" and "unclicked" the little "show in ward directory" box and kept getting a dialog box stating that phone numbers could only utilize numerals and spaces. It did not reflect my changes in the profile by just doing that.
I took out the dashes, tried to save changes and got the same dialog box and my changes were still not reflectd in the profile. I removed the number all together, so that the cell number box was blank, tried to save changes, got the same dialog box and my changes were still not reflected in the profile.
All numbers I've ever seen displayed have included the dashes and some with (M) for mobile so I find the dialog box confusing, but I really don't care about that - I just want to remove my cell number from the ward directory.
How can I successfully keep my cell number from displaying in my ward directory?
Thanks

Making changes to the content takes some time before it becomes effective. I believe there is an online warning to that effect.

Once that happens, you might try reentering your phone number so that leaders can see it, using only valid characters. Then you should be able to uncheck the box to suppress it from general publication.

At least that's what I think will happen.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What you describe should work for the new on-line directory. If you're talking about other directories, then the rules become a little more convoluted.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cgarlock

Post by cgarlock »

Thank you both. It is the new on-line directory, so I will see if giving it some time works. Thanks again.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

cgarlock wrote:I don't want my cell number displayed in the ward directory and went into "edit profile" and "unclicked" the little "show in ward directory" box and kept getting a dialog box stating that phone numbers could only utilize numerals and spaces. It did not reflect my changes in the profile by just doing that.
cgarlock wrote: How can I successfully keep my cell number from displaying in my ward directory?
Thanks
Have you looked at the other numbers in your profile? Could the error really be referring to one of them?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”