Who should get an MLS account?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
nathangg

Who should get an MLS account?

Post by nathangg »

I was trying to find a list of standard MLS Accounts, but I can't seem to find anything in the wiki (I searched "MLS User Account" and "MLS Account").

Here is what we have so far:
  • Bishopric (Bishop + counselors)
  • Ward Clerk
  • Exec. Secretary
  • Finance Clerk
  • Membership Clerk
  • Visiting Teaching Supervisor (or similar, I don't remember the exact calling... she enters VT)
  • EQ Secretary
  • HPG Secretary
  • stake (out of unit admin)
Is this pretty standard? Do other units give the HPG Leader and EQ President an account? Or is that discouraged?

I was discussing it with my bishop, but we were wondering if there was some direction outlined online or some pros/cons or suggestions that other people had before he made a decision.

The only thing I could come up with is that leaders can/should delegate where possible, and thus they can have their secretary enter in data/retrieve data from MLS and return and report rather than they themselves doing it. (Especially since we don't give clerks' office keys to the HPG Leader and EQ President in our stake... kind of makes it hard to get on the computer :))

Thanks~!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think it's one of those areas where it's "what works for the individuals involved".

I can see how the details of who does what depends on the individual leadership style, skill sets, schedules, and personal situations. It can suggest different setups for different wards, or even the same ward with different people in the callings.

You may even consider having a clerk do some of the work. That's how I did things when I was a clerk. It was quicker for me to run off reports at the right phase of operations then to go find the person who needed to use the computer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

RussellHltn wrote:I think it's one of those areas where it's "what works for the individuals involved".
And the bishop has the flexibility to decide, as I understand it. (Those with access to CHI book 1 might have a more clear understanding.)

Notably, as MLS functionality migrates to the website where permissions are centrally wired to callings, there is no such local flexibility.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

nathangg wrote:I was trying to find a list of standard MLS Accounts...
Did you happen to see the suggested user list and assigned rights on page 25/26 of the MLS manual?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

Mikerowaved wrote:Did you happen to see the suggested user list and assigned rights on page 25/26 of the MLS manual?
Nope! But I see it now: Page 26, Item #8 - it is worded from the standpoint of who should have what rights (so it lists the rights, then the normal people that have those rights), but the list is there and it was what I was looking for.

Thank you~!

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”