Sacrament Language

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
jonejam2

Sacrament Language

Post by jonejam2 »

Good evening,
I am having a little troube with the exactness of language used in Sacrament meetings for things like ordinations, callings, releases, recognition of YW moving into different YW classes, and child blessings etc...

The sacrament presentation of an individual for ordination to Melchizedek PH is clear in the CHI but Aaronic PH offices (from deacon to Teacher to Priest) is not as clearly spelled out. Can anyone provide an example of what is to be said by the Bishopric conducting sacrament for presentation of a young man advancing from the office of a Deacon to teacher. My confusion comes in because the Deacon already holds the Aaronic PH and I don't think you would resubmit the Young Man to a sustaining vote again.

1. Here is what I was planning to use, but I would like to be more exact:
"We propose that (NAME) be ordained to the office of a Teacher in the Aaronic Priesthood. Those in favor may manifest it by the uplifted hand. Those opposed, if any, may manifest it"

Here is what we used to submit a YM for conferring the Aaronic PH and ordination to the office of deacon:

"We propose that (Name) receive the Aaronic PH and be ordained to the office of a Deacon in the Aaronic PH. Those in favor may manifest it by the uplifted hand. Those opposed, if any, may manifest it"

2. Can you combine multiple YM going into the same office or different offices?

"We propose that (name) be ordained to the office of a Teacher in the Aaronic Priesthood, and (Name) be ordained to the office of a Priest in the Aaronic Priesthood. Those in favor may manifest it by the uplifted hand. Those opposed, if any, may manifest it"

3. What Language is used to recognize a Young Woman progressing into Beehives or Miamaids or into Relief Society etc.

4. Callings / Releases: Can you combine multiple callings or should we always submit each individual for a calling / release individually.

For example:

(Name) has been called as Laurel Advisor, and (Name) has been called as Relief Society President, and (Name) has been Called as 1st Counselor in the Relief Society (etc..) and we propose that they be sustained. those in favor may manifest it by the uplifted hand. Those opposed, if any, may manifest it"

(Name) has been released as Laurel Advisor, and (Name) has been released as Relief Society President, and (Name) has been released as 1st Counselor in the Relief Society (etc..) and we propose that they begiven a vote of thanks. Those who wish to express their appreciation may manifest it by the uplifted hand".

I guess my question is really whether there was a dissenting vote you would not know who was being objected to if they are combined. But when you have 10 or more sustainings and releases it can take up an entire sacrament meeting.

5. At what point in the fast & testimony meeting is the child blessing to take place? and what language is used to transition to that point?

I know this is a lot, but I am trying to be sure about what I am saying when asked about these things. Your help and thoughts are appreciated.
Jim Jones
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jonejam2 wrote:My confusion comes in because the Deacon already holds the Aaronic PH and I don't think you would resubmit the Young Man to a sustaining vote again.

If you only looked at Section 8.3.1 of Handbook 2, you might wonder: "The bishop and his counselors recognize each young man in sacrament meeting when he advances from Primary to the Aaronic Priesthood, when he is to be ordained to an office in the priesthood, and when he has completed the Duty to God program." All that says is that the bishop should "recognize" AP ordinations, no different from recognition of DTG completion.

But in Section 20.7 of Handbook 2, you read: "The bishop oversees the conferral of the Aaronic Priesthood and ordinations to the offices of deacon, teacher, and priest.... Instructions for interviewing these brethren and presenting them for a sustaining vote are outlined in Handbook 1, 16.7.2." When you look in Handbook 1, you will see that indeed, all priesthood ordinations are presented for a sustaining vote (see D&C 20:65). In Handbook 1, 16.7.1, you will see the recommended language to use to ask for a sustaining vote.
jonejam2 wrote:2. Can you combine multiple YM going into the same office or different offices?
4. Callings / Releases: Can you combine multiple callings or should we always submit each individual for a calling / release individually.
I guess my question is really whether there was a dissenting vote you would not know who was being objected to if they are combined. But when you have 10 or more sustainings and releases it can take up an entire sacrament meeting.

Handbook 2, section 19.3 gives proposed language for sustaining a member to a calling. That section also says "If more than one person is being presented, they may usually be sustained as a group." For ordinations, Handbook 1 section 16.7.1 confirms that multiple brethren may be sustained as a group.

Handbook 2, section 19.5 gives proposed language for presenting a release in the appropriate meeting. Although that section doesn't explicitly mention grouping multiple releases, it's a logical conclusion that grouping releases is appropriate. There's also the clear pattern in General Conference that releases and sustainings are grouped.

As for the dissenting vote, a bishopric or stake presidency member has to meet with the dissenting person after the meeting to discuss the matter anyway. At that point, he can ask who specifically the dissenting vote was directed at. You don't have to know at the moment of the vote exactly who was objected to, so the possibility of a dissenting vote has no bearing on whether you should group sustainings or not.
jonejam2 wrote:5. At what point in the fast & testimony meeting is the child blessing to take place? and what language is used to transition to that point?

Handbook 2, Section 18.2.2 gives the order for sacrament meeting. Blessing of children takes place after the opening prayer and before the sacrament.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonejam2

Post by jonejam2 »

Thanks again - you seem to have a knack for finding and answering my questions :)

Section 16.7.2 in book 1 pints us back to 16.7.1 in book one that gives the language for submitting a person for the Melchizedek PH and says that the Aaronic PH should follow this pattern, but it does not give the language for when a YM already holds the Aaronic PH. Here is what the CHI 16.7.1 calls for if we "Follow the pattern":

"We propose that (Name) receive the Aaronic PH and be ordained to the office of a Deacon in the Aaronic PH. Those in favor may manifest it by the uplifted hand. Those opposed, if any, may manifest it"

If you read that carefully it states "Receive the Aaronic PH and be ordained to the office of ..." My problem with YM moving from Deacon to teacher or teacher to priest is that the ALREADY hold the Aaronic PH - so is THAT part of the language removed from the sustaining vote?

Thanks
jonejam2

Post by jonejam2 »

Also, as for the rest of the information THANK YOU. I just need to sit down and read these books a little more carefully and quit hasseling you.

It also looks like the language for Young Woman advancement is not precise so "Local Adaptation" is probably ok.

Thanks again for all your help!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jonejam2 wrote:If you read that carefully it states "Receive the Aaronic PH and be ordained to the office of ..." My problem with YM moving from Deacon to teacher or teacher to priest is that the ALREADY hold the Aaronic PH - so is THAT part of the language removed from the sustaining vote?

Yes. If the person being ordained to an office within the Aaronic Priesthood already holds that priesthood, just remove that part of the language, so that it is like ""We propose that (Name) be ordained to the office of a Teacher in the Aaronic PH. Those in favor may manifest it by the uplifted hand. Those opposed, if any, may manifest it."
jonejam2 wrote:Also, as for the rest of the information THANK YOU. I just need to sit down and read these books a little more carefully and quit hasseling you.
The Handbooks are indeed wonderful resources. They have so much information that even when I read them multiple times, I find something that I was sure had not been there before.

But I certainly don't feel "hassled" -- it's good for me to review this information myself so that I can better help my priesthood leaders and the clerks I serve with. And if you have questions, chances are that plenty of other people have the same questions, so it's good to get them out in this forum.
jonejam2 wrote:It also looks like the language for Young Woman advancement is not precise so "Local Adaptation" is probably ok.
I would agree, but someone here may have some helpful suggestions.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”