Firewall blocking Uploads

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
kinggrunt

Firewall blocking Uploads

Post by kinggrunt »

Hi all!

So we have 5 computer connected to our firewall, MLS etc running. All connect fine and surf internet fine, MLS fine. Apart from 1.

The problem with the 1:

Surfs internet, but does not upload files, does not post on forums (I had to post this from another computer)

MLS has problems with send/receive, receives all files, but does not send and comes up with Fault, this fault is linked to Internet issue (SLC have said)

I have plugged this computer into ISP router to by pass Firewall and it works fine! So computer is OK, I have checked all settings, and its working fine, and the fact it works fine when not plugged into Firewall, suggests the firewall is blocking it uploading things.

Can anyone please help me with any ideas on how to fix this, and why the firewall is blocking just the 1 computer and non else.

I have tryed it Via Ethernet into Firewall and Wireless to Firewall and both Fail.

Many thanks!
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

kinggrunt wrote:Hi all!

I have plugged this computer into ISP router to by pass Firewall and it works fine! So computer is OK, I have checked all settings, and its working fine, and the fact it works fine when not plugged into Firewall, suggests the firewall is blocking it uploading things.

Many thanks!
I assume that each of the 5 computers are all members of the same workgroup. Check the "name" that's being used for each pc to insure that each is different. If you have two computers on the same workgroup that are given the same name, you end up with communication problems.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
kinggrunt

Post by kinggrunt »

I checked the names and all are different, I also changed the name so that the firewall might think its a different computer but no luck there.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Does this happen when #1 is the only computer turned on? There is a limit to the number of computers that can be assigned IP addresses by the firewall.

Another thing to check would be your DHCP settings.
kinggrunt

Post by kinggrunt »

It happens all times, when its the only one on, when its on with another 2, 3. All times. Can you explain the DHCP settings part of things, the computer it self has Auto Assign IP & DNS, im guessing that correct because thats the norm & its got the same DHCP as the other computers.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

kinggrunt wrote:I checked the names and all are different, I also changed the name so that the firewall might think its a different computer but no luck there.

The Global Support Desk has the ability to monitor the operation of the firewall while you try and communicate through it.
You might try contacting them and see if they can detect any issues when you're using it. It might be possible for them to do a reset on the firewall and reprogram it.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Does this happen when #1 is the only computer turned on? There is a limit to the number of computers that can be assigned IP addresses by the firewall.

I'd suggest trying the following:

Turn off all the computers, power cycle the firewall, then turn on just computer #1.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danpass

Post by danpass »

It seems more likely to me that the problem is on the computer rather than your hardware firewall.

On the problem computer, look at the Windows firewall settings and compare them to the same settings on one of the other computers.

I would also go to Internet Options in Control Panel and under the Connections tab, look at the LAN settings and compare them with those of a computer that is working correctly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danpass wrote:It seems more likely to me that the problem is on the computer rather than your hardware firewall.

If we're going with that theory, then I'd also look at the HOSTS file to make sure a dummy entry hasn't been made to block that site.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”