Disappearing Leadership Data

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ffrsqpilot

Disappearing Leadership Data

Post by ffrsqpilot »

Today when I went to the stake computer to add the name of the stake audit committee chairman I found that all leadership data is missing... There isn't any Stake Presidency, High Council, or Auxilliary Presidencies....nothing, all leadership data is missing. I then checked ward leadership data and 90% of it is missing. The only data that shows up is Branch Presidency data for the new branch we just created in early March. Also there are a few other names scattered thoughout the units such as a Relief Society Presidency for one ward, a Branch Mission Leader for another unit, but little else....

So two questions.....where did the info go? I called LUS and they didn't have an answer other than a file containing this data was deleted - who deleted it? LUS said they would take a data file from CDOL and send it down to the stake computer to see if that would repopulate the missing data....hope it works.

I then called Tech Support to ask if there was a method of looking on the stake computer (not necessarily MLS) to see who had recently logged in thinking perhaps someone was looking at MLS and errantly deleted something or did something to cause the data to go missing. Not much help from Tech Support. Does anyone here on the site know of a "log file" that remains on the computer listing who logged in recently? If so could you give me a brief description of where to find the file on the computer so I can see if someone recenly logged in and when.

Thanks
Jim
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

FFRsqpilot wrote:Does anyone here on the site know of a "log file" that remains on the computer listing who logged in recently? If so could you give me a brief description of where to find the file on the computer so I can see if someone recenly logged in and when.

In the data folder ( C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church\MLS\data on WinXP, or C:\ProgramData\LDS Church\MLS\data on Windows 7) there is a file called mlslog.txt.

It records every user who logs in to MLS. Just search for the last entry that looks like "#### 0000108 ####" (where 0000108 will be replaced by your ward's unit number). The last such entry will correspond to the most recent login. The text immediately after that will be the username of the person who logged in, and the date/time stamp is included as well.

However, that may not give you the information you need. If the description is accurate that "a file containing this data was deleted", then it wasn't deleted from within MLS -- there is no such feature in MLS. So it would have been deleted at the system level, and whoever did that was almost certainly logged in to Windows as "clerk". But perhaps the MLS log will give you some clues.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

Thanks Alan, I thought there was some file like that but I couldn't remember where it was. The Tech support individual I talked to wasn't familiar with it or perhaps I wasn't clear enough in what I was asking for. In any case I will use your explanation and see if I can figure out who may have been on the computer.

I was pretty sure there was no function in MLS that would delete the data.....strange thing is that all the financial data seems to be intact as it was only the leadership data in the Stake and Ward leadership files that went missing.

Thanks again for your help.
Jim

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”