Deposit Tithing without a computer

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
ricnel

Deposit Tithing without a computer

Post by ricnel »

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this. If not, please direct me to the proper place. I did a search and could not locate anything on this topic. Our ward computer is down. One is on order from Salt Lake. Is there a procedure to deposit tithing receipts without a computer? If so, can someone direct me to it. Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ricnel wrote:I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this. If not, please direct me to the proper place. I did a search and could not locate anything on this topic. Our ward computer is down. One is on order from Salt Lake. Is there a procedure to deposit tithing receipts without a computer? If so, can someone direct me to it. Thanks.
There is a hint in the wiki article for Emergency Check Writing Procedures under MLS is not working for an extended period. Although that topic deals with writing checks rather than making deposits, the procedure would be the same -- you restore your MLS backup onto another unit's computer.

But if the new computer will arrive shortly, you can always just have the bishop hold the donations and wait until you are up and running with the new computer. Note that you'll need to get the computer running by Friday if you want to use it on Sunday, because you will need to call Local Unit Support to request a security reset before you can do a transmission (although once you have MLS running, you can prepare and make a deposit, even if you have to transmit on Monday).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ricnel

Post by ricnel »

Thank you very much for the quick response and direction. I appreciate it.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ricnel wrote:I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this. If not, please direct me to the proper place. I did a search and could not locate anything on this topic. Our ward computer is down. One is on order from Salt Lake. Is there a procedure to deposit tithing receipts without a computer? If so, can someone direct me to it. Thanks.

In addition to the suggestions aebrown has presented, the training material at LDS.org includes a list of Frequently Asked Questions about Record Keeping that includes the following on page 36:
Question:
How do we handle donations if our unit’s computer is not functioning?
Answer:
Donations should be counted manually and deposited in the bank the day they are
receipted. The donation batch information should be transmitted as soon as possible after
the computer becomes functional.
Following these instructions, you may want to prepare the deposit and take it to the bank, keeping careful records, and adding the batch to MLS when you get your new computer.

Edit: There are instructions. Follow the link to the Wiki. Then you can disregard the rest of this post.
[Old information. Use the link above for the real instructions.] There used to be instructions on how to run adding machine tapes for the checks, etc., but most clerks offices no longer have adding machines in them, and I cannot find those instructions online. Still, you could hand-write a list of checks and total it to give the bank and that would be sufficient, along with the total on the deposit slip, for them to process the deposit. Keep a copy of the list for your records, and be sure to include the check numbers.
If you do this, carefully check each donation slip for errors and make certain the information matches the amount received. Since you already do this anyway [grin], there is no extra work involved in that step.

Return to “Clerk Computers”