Clerk cannot have access to the bldg Copier

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
davesudweeks

Clerk cannot have access to the bldg Copier

Post by davesudweeks »

Can anyone provide a logical explanation???

Our building was re-keyed last fall. As part of that process, access to the Library was removed for Clerks and Executive Secretaries. We were told (by the Stake) that this was directed by the FM group and was in compliance with Church policy.

Since there are several instances in the Handbook where the Clerk is specifically directed to provide copies, and since many of our meetings occur at times the Librarians are not there, does the Church really desire the Clerk to hand original documents to the Bishop to make copies for a meeting? I can be trusted to handle church finances, but I cannot be trusted to make copies for the Bishop.

It makes no sense at all to me...
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Our building keys have been almost this way for several years already. The keys issued to the Bishopric, Ward clerk and Executive Secretary and can open the library. For all of the assistant ward clerks, we have a library key in a cabinet in the clerks office and it's easy to find... unless someone stuck it in his pocket, forgot to return it and wore different clothes the next Sunday.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Although I can't answer your question directly, I will tell you that in my case the library was on the far side of the building and (like you) I often needed to make copies of payment coupons, receipts, etc., especially when cutting fast offering checks. I quickly tired of locking everything I was doing back in the file cabinet, locking the clerk's office door behind me, going to the library and warming up the copier for one copy, then getting everything out again once I returned.

I solved the problem by donating an older flatbed scanner to the clerks office and used a freeware program called Photocopier. It's not near as fast as a true photocopier, but even the Bishop liked having the ability to make occasional onesee twosee copies without making the long trip.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:We were told (by the Stake) that this was directed by the FM group and was in compliance with Church policy.

You might want to nicely ask where this policy can be found.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

When the building was first re-keyed, we were told the Clerk and Executive Secretary would still have access to the Material Center as before. However, it quickly became apparent that this was not the case. Later, our HC who works with the FM group verified that they never intended to allow Clerks or Executive Secretaries have access to the Material Center.

Our requests for consideration to the Stake have fallen on deaf ears - "it is out of our hands, but we will pass your concern to the FM group." The Stake got around it by putting a Printer/Copier unit in the Stake Clerk's office but I seriously doubt we will be allowed to do that. Your suggestion to use a scanner would be a good one for someone who has a workable scanner lying around.

Thanks for the information. I was wondering if we were the only area that had had this experience.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:"it is out of our hands, but we will pass your concern to the FM group."

That strikes me as odd. On matters that don't cost a lot, what I usually see is closer to "what the stake presidency wants, the stake gets".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

ricnel

Post by ricnel »

Because of the limited access to the Material Center, in most of the buildings in our Stake we have the copier in a room other than the Materials Center. (It is usually a room or closet close to the Material Center.) This room has a common level door lock in which anyone who has a key with access to the building would have access to the copier room. In the Stake Center, the copier is in the hallway in front of the Materials Center. Access to this copier is granted by using a code programed into the copier. On this copier, every auxiliary group has a code. To use the copier, someone just enters a code and then they are able to copy.

FYI - On the Schedule of Specified Keying For Meetinghouses, other than the Ward Librarian, only the Bishop, his counselors, and the executive secretary are allowed key access to the Materials Center. The clerks are not supposed to have access. I have no idea why.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ricnel wrote:FYI - On the Schedule of Specified Keying For Meetinghouses, other than the Ward Librarian, only the Bishop, his counselors, and the executive secretary are allowed key access to the Materials Center. The clerks are not supposed to have access. I have no idea why.

The question is, is that policy or guideline? And what would it take to get a variance?

jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

We solved the problem by replacing the printer in the clerk's office with an inexpensive multifunction laser printer, copier, fax, similar to this:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm ... 65847.html
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

And, where is that policy located?

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”