Can you network the Xerox Workcentre 4150?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
ulupoi

Can you network the Xerox Workcentre 4150?

Post by ulupoi »

Here in the stake clerk's office, we have a Xerox Workcentre 4150 (product code L99). Is it capable of being connected to the network? When I try to do so by connecting its RJ45 port with an ethernet cable to an access point, the machine starts beeping and I get an error message that reads, "The Network Cable is not connected, please reattach." It also fails to assign an IP address by DHCP.

I tested the cable an access point and both are good. Do our 4150s just not have network capability?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ulupoi wrote:Here in the stake clerk's office, we have a Xerox Workcentre 4150 (product code L99). Is it capable of being connected to the network? When I try to do so by connecting its RJ45 port with an ethernet cable to an access point, the machine starts beeping and I get an error message that reads, "The Network Cable is not connected, please reattach." It also fails to assign an IP address by DHCP.

I tested the cable an access point and both are good. Do our 4150s just not have network capability?
My guess is that the Workcentre is not seeing the DHCP server of the Church provided firewall. The communications could be halted at the access point. Without further information about your network setup it is hard to tell you what further steps to take.

What firewall do you have? What devices are between the Workcentre and the firewall?

Have you tried assigning a static IP address?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

jdlessley wrote:My guess is that the Workcentre is not seeing the DHCP server of the Church provided firewall. The communications could be halted at the access point. Without further information about your network setup it is hard to tell you what further steps to take.

What firewall do you have? What devices are between the Workcentre and the firewall?

Have you tried assigning a static IP address?

Another thing to look at is to check the port speeds that you are using. If one is hard coded to say 10 Mbits, Full Duplex and the other isn't, then you won't make a connection.

I would also check on the web for your model and connecting it with the error. It should be able to. I have connected an HP copier to the network at my stake center and it works like a champ. Also, do not put a printer on DHCP, you will introduce problems at some point in the future.

We had a FHC center that had their network printer on DHCP and when that address changed one day, all printing stopped. So assign ANY network printer with a static IP address. The church usually give the first 5 to 10 addresses of the block the ability to be assigned static. Use it.

Terry
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ulupoi wrote:When I try to do so by connecting its RJ45 port with an ethernet cable to an access point, the machine starts beeping and I get an error message

I'm a little unclear as to how you're connecting this up. If you're trying to use the AP to make the copier "wireless" that's not likely to work. Not unless the AP has a special bridge mode.

If this AP is already wired to the network, then it's something else.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

It's working, praise God.

The main problem seems to have been that the access point is behaving oddly. It is a Netgear wireless router being used here as a switch, connected upstream to a Netopia DSL-modem/router in another room. Our standard-issue church Dell works fine connected to the Netgear switch, and most computers and PDAs can connect to it wirelessly without a problem. However, my old T40 Thinkpad cannot connect to it wirelessly. I used to be able to connect my T40 directly to the Netgear switch via ethernet cable, but now it rapidly shuttles between being connected and disconnected. I think that it might be slowly dying. Anyhow, we happened to have an old Linksys router (not wireless) in a drawer, so I pulled it out, configured it as a switch, connected it in series with the Netgear switch, and connected it directly to the Xerox. That worked. The Xerox was able to obtain an IP address which I used when installing the driver on the Dell.

Installing the printer driver was troublesome. After following the menu on the installation CD, I still could not print. But during the installation process, a message appeared warning of a possible incompatibility with XP. So next, I downloaded a driver from the Xerox site. This worked. So beware, in spite of what it says in the instructions, the driver on the CD might not not work with XP.

Now we can print double-sided and save on paper.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

ulupoi wrote:It's working, praise God.

The main problem seems to have been that the access point is behaving oddly. It is a Netgear wireless router being used here as a switch, connected upstream to a Netopia DSL-modem/router in another room. Our standard-issue church Dell works fine connected to the Netgear switch, and most computers and PDAs can connect to it wirelessly without a problem. However, my old T40 Thinkpad cannot connect to it wirelessly. I used to be able to connect my T40 directly to the Netgear switch via ethernet cable, but now it rapidly shuttles between being connected and disconnected. I think that it might be slowly dying. Anyhow, we happened to have an old Linksys router (not wireless) in a drawer, so I pulled it out, configured it as a switch, connected it in series with the Netgear switch, and connected it directly to the Xerox. That worked. The Xerox was able to obtain an IP address which I used when installing the driver on the Dell.

Installing the printer driver was troublesome. After following the menu on the installation CD, I still could not print. But during the installation process, a message appeared warning of a possible incompatibility with XP. So next, I downloaded a driver from the Xerox site. This worked. So beware, in spite of what it says in the instructions, the driver on the CD might not not work with XP.

Now we can print double-sided and save on paper.
This is great. I still would set the Xerox to have a static IP address as this will save you even more headache and potential problems down the road.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I'm a little concerned here, I didn't see mention of a Church Firewall in the mix. You wrote that a Wireless router/switch is connected upstream to netopia DSL-Modem/router. This doesn't follow the policy as I understand it... unless you just failed to mention the church firewall, just thought I'd bring it up.

Return to “Clerk Computers”