Cannot get General Conference 2011 via the Internet with Windows 7

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
kpentz

Cannot get General Conference 2011 via the Internet with Windows 7

Post by kpentz »

Hi,

I cannot get General Conference via LDS.ORG - i.e. when clicking on "Watch" -
when using our Windows 7 laptop.

The conference streaming window opens, but remains blank (black) while a small icon spins in the lower right corner....

But, it works just fine when using a couple of different Windows XP Pro machines.

For the problem Windows 7 machine, I have tried "everything" in the way of upgrading software, but nothing works.
I've tried this for both IE 8 - lasted version of it - also for Google Chrome - latest version. Flash Player is up-to-date. Lowered IE security options to Medium, Popup
Blocker turned off, etc, etc....

Also, archived videos on lds.org work just fine. It is only the live streaming that has problems.

And, it did not work last week for the General YW conference either....

Has anyone else experience this?
Has anyone found a solution?

Thanks,
Kelly
Colorado Springs
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

kpentz wrote:Has anyone else experience this?
I ran into the same problem at the beginning of the first session, so I switched to audio only. Every so often I would check back, but it kept doing the same thing. About 45 minutes into it, I tried the video feed again and it fired right up and worked flawlessly the rest of the session. My thinking is, it probably wasn't something wrong on your end.

I'm hoping they get their feeds working properly before tomorrow morning's session, as that's usually the heaviest viewed.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

I had problems at the last conference with Windows 7 64-bit so had to switch to BYUTV which was ok. Another PC I had was using Windows 7 - 32 bit and that was ok. This time I came into the church's own feed later in the session and it worked ok but I might have been lucky and escaped the problem Mike was talking about.
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

Mikerowaved wrote:About 45 minutes into it, I tried the video feed again and it fired right up and worked flawlessly the rest of the session. My thinking is, it probably wasn't something wrong on your end.
Nothing changed to the stream--we didn't have any technical issues all day and received very few reports of issues.

We have found that on some machines disabling hardware acceleration within Flash helps things quite a bit. To do this just right click on the player, click settings, and un-check the box next to "Enable hardware acceleration".

FYI - BYUTV's stream is the exact same feed/player that is on LDS.org--just embedded on their page.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

I came home yesterday and caught the tail end of the morning session. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with Firefox and when I connected, it was instance reception. Video and Audio looked good. I then tried the afternoon session on a laptop and again, no problems.

I had 3 streams for the priesthood session and once we got things going, it work terrific. There were a few minor issues, but overall it worked great. Based on what you said, it sounds like a buffering issue or something else.

I will be trying again for the morning and afternoon session. So we will see.
jeffrey.barney

This worked for Safari in my MAc

Post by jeffrey.barney »

RussellJD wrote:
We have found that on some machines disabling hardware acceleration within Flash helps things quite a bit. To do this just right click on the player, click settings, and un-check the box next to "Enable hardware acceleration".

I had issues with the feed skipping, and this solved it.

Thank you!

Jeff Barney
kpentz

Post by kpentz »

Hello,

Thank you everyone for taking the time to give your experience and ideas!

With those comments I have done more investigation and:
1. Learned that it is only my user account on the machine. Other user accounts (other family members) work just fine.
2. I have tried the tip - "disabling hardware acceleration within Flash" - but that did not help.
3. And just to make this more mysterious - I note one time when it worked for a couple of minutes on my account, but then would not work again...
4. Further trouble shooting:
a. Uninstalled various programs elements that I thought might be conflicting.
b. Compared processes running on my user account versus another account that works and stopped processes for a couple of cases that were unique to mine.
c. Compared security settings (that I could think of) and found no differences....
5. And, again, I note that what appears to be the same player works just fine when looking at the archived sessions - even of this weekend's conference.

Any more ideas...??? :-)

Thanks again and wishing you all a nice evening.

Kelly
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kpentz wrote:1. Learned that it is only my user account on the machine. Other user accounts (other family members) work just fine.
[...]
Any more ideas...??? :-)

You may want to consider deleting your profile and creating it again. However, you'd end up losing everything unique to your account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I kept experiencing pauses in the stream of about 15-20 seconds each time. My guess is that something was wrong with a given packet and it had to be refetched. While the stream never lost its place or skipped around, it did create some interesting "cliff hangers" in several of the talks while it paused for to reload the mangled packet. Next time I'll have to try turning off hardware acceleration in Adobe Flash.

Just for reference, my setup included Mac OS 10.6.7, Adobe Flash 10.2.153.1, Safari 5.0.4, on a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo MacMini.

While the H.264 steam worked great of my iPhone 3, I couldn't get that stream to work on a regular Mac even after spoofing the user agent in Safari to mimic an iPad.
kpentz

Post by kpentz »

Thanks for the additional input Folks,

I think I will hold off on starting over with a fresh account - since I probably won't be able to test the issue for another six months :-)

I we didn't experience many pauses, but if my issue occurs again in 6 months, I will be more detailed about what I've got running.
i.e. Acer Aspire 5740-6491, Windows 7 Home Premium, with that IE/latest and Chrome/latest and Flash Player/latest.

Take care,
Kelly

Return to “Main Church Website”