Setting up YSA centre web sites - advice and helpful hints welcome.

Discussions about other Church websites
stephen500

Setting up YSA centre web sites - advice and helpful hints welcome.

Post by stephen500 »

I am installing two computers for the YSA centre in Chester, England.
I have noticed that Manchester and Ashton YSA (England) have a great web site.
http://ldscfya.co.uk/
I have asked for advice and help from them, but if any one can give any tips on how to set up a web site and how to link it to face book etc, then advice would be welcome.
Which I will then pass onto the center directors.
Thanks in advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

First, you need to be aware of the church's policy on websites. Has your site been approved by the Area Presidency?

I find it interesting that the site you've mentioned appears to be registered to an individual and yet uses the Church's logo. So on the surface, it does not appear to comply with policy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

A clue that the site linked to by the OP most likely does not have approval is the violation of privacy found on one of the pages. The other is how the Church logo is used on the home page. The logo use is not in accordance with Church policy.

When approval is obtained from the Area Presidency more specific guidance on keeping the site in compliance will be provided.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

I have not set up a site, but just asked for guidance on how to do so. I note from the Admin Handbook that permission can be given for young adult orgs. So my advice to the preisthood leader responsible for ysa is to write to the Stake president and to have him write to the Area Seventy for permission. Although to me it seems a lot of red tape that hinders good people trying to help young single adults.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hopefully when permission is granted, additional guidance will be given. There is some general information in the link I gave.

While it does seem like a lot of red tape, we have to remember that the web is a world-wide publishing and distribution system. That power was almost unheard of at the individual or unit level before. But that magnifies the legal and privacy issues involved, so I can't fault the church for being conservative in that area.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cognifloyd

Post by cognifloyd »

I can't say too much, but it might interest you to know that a church-wide YSA website is in the works. It looks like the event system is going to be awesome. Plus, there's going to be a variety of other features, some of which are still in the planning stages.

I cannot speak authoritatively on whether or not you can/should build your YSA centre website, but I thought I'd give you a heads up on what's coming, hopefully sooner than later. (There's no official launch date yet.)

I wish I could offer more than this carrot. Suffice it to say: I'm really enthusiastic about this new YSA website.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgurufloyd wrote:I can't say too much, but it might interest you to know that a church-wide YSA website is in the works.

I hope they don't ignore the needs of the Single Adults in the process.

cognifloyd

Post by cognifloyd »

Ignore the Single Adults? Many of the topics/articles/information that we'll have on the site would be applicable to both YSA and SA. However, the site is targeted at the 18-30 YSAs.

Curiosity: What would you want to see on a church website targeting Single Adults (30+)?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgurufloyd wrote:Curiosity: What would you want to see on a church website targeting Single Adults (30+)?

The first would be to get the age right (it's 31 and over) :D

Mostly a way to know of the activities available to them. Especially larger conferences that they could work into a vacation, etc. So in that sense, it would be much like the YSA, but perhaps for a larger area. I just didn't want to see the site become "YSA only".

Some events are open to both, so hopefully the site allows events to be published on "both sides".

Support for registration for conferences would be nice. I think simply allowing a reasonable sized file for download would suffice. It could double for distributing fliers for the bulletin board.

For fancy features, the only thing I can think of is a calendar that can be subscribed to much like the new lds.org calendar (except maybe actually working in Google without a wrapper) ;)

marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

All in Italian of course!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).

Return to “Other Websites”