Power failure during boot up

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lrawlins

Power failure during boot up

Post by lrawlins »

Hi,

One of our clerks was just logging into their computer when a power failure occurred.

When the power came back on and he turned the machine on again he got a message that the boot blocks had been damaged and the machine did not complete the boot sequence.

Is this something that is repairable or should I just pick a new drive for it?

The real bummer is this machine had been in service for less than a month.

Bye,
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

It is repairable. back in the DOS days, you could just boot off a floppy and with one command restore the boot track.

Under XP, you can use the recovery console, from booting off the recovery CD, to rewrite the boot sector. the instructions can be found here: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_ ... %20Sector:

I have never had to use Windows 7, so I don't know for sure, but I found this article that describes the process: http://www.ehow.com/how_4836283_repair-mbr-windows.html
lrawlins

Post by lrawlins »

If it only was that easy!

Recovery mode will not run, safe mode will not run, booting from DVD gives some strange error about "paged_fault in non paged area"

Next will try and boot from a different drive and if that works will see if I can retrieve data from this drive then reinstall the operating system.

Makes me wonder exactly what happened to it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Once you get it to a point that you can do something, try running a "chkdsk /f" on the drive. I recovered a laptop that was looking like I'd have to completely reformat that way.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

you might try mounting the drive on a different computer and then run chkdsk /f to see if the drive is fixable. there are other drive repair utilities that can be tried also. Seagate has a free Hard Drive repair utility as does Western Digital

Return to “Clerk Computers”