finance frustration

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
farwest

finance frustration

Post by farwest »

our stake finance clerk and one of our experienced clerks have been trying to straighten out the finances of the wards after the cubs transition. my question is there a process or flow that works best to get balances into the right places and to find the missing amounts. the bottom line is ok but balances in different categories are not correct. so what is the best way to put it all back together? step by step
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

farwest wrote:our stake finance clerk and one of our experienced clerks have been trying to straighten out the finances of the wards after the cubs transition. my question is there a process or flow that works best to get balances into the right places and to find the missing amounts. the bottom line is ok but balances in different categories are not correct. so what is the best way to put it all back together? step by step
Step by step instructions were provided by CHQ in an MLS message back at the time of the CUBS transition. You can see those steps on the wiki at Subcategories.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

farwest wrote:our stake finance clerk and one of our experienced clerks have been trying to straighten out the finances of the wards after the cubs transition. my question is there a process or flow that works best to get balances into the right places and to find the missing amounts. the bottom line is ok but balances in different categories are not correct. so what is the best way to put it all back together? step by step
Don't have the time to give you step by step, but the biggest questions I'd ask are 1) what accounts are we talking about? Budget? Other? Ward Missionary? and 2) Where are you getting the info on what balances should be? Do you print the appropriate reports pre-CUBS? Incidentally, the reports we were told to print ended up being pretty useless.

Before you start attacking balances, it is important you understand exactly what CUBS did to your finances. It is also important that you understand the potential bugs CUBS introduced to your Other and Budget balances and that you identify if you are affected or not. If you are, you will have to take this into account. Also, you will have to follow the post-CUBS instructions on zeroing any of your old Budget categories that may have come through the transition. Finally, keep in mind that CUBS zeroed out all your expenses That were entered on or before Oct 19, 2010.

Once you know where the money was moved to, it's a simple matter of using transfers to recreate your subcategory balances.
farwest

Post by farwest »

well our fnance clerk talked to chq finance department and found out that cubs put took out money that the clerk couldn't find. they said it was an error in the cubs transition and they are fixing it. so the clerk had been trying to reconcile this amount that we didn't put there. thanks for your help, this forum is awesome
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

farwest wrote:well our fnance clerk talked to chq finance department and found out that cubs put took out money that the clerk couldn't find. they said it was an error in the cubs transition and they are fixing it. so the clerk had been trying to reconcile this amount that we didn't put there. thanks for your help, this forum is awesome

When our balances didn't quite add up, i went back through the pre-CUBS expense report and manually checked out that each expense was represented in the post-CUBS transition. It was tedious, but in the process, I discovered several distribution center charges that had never been accounted for. Because the pre-CUBS reconciliation process did not throw the statement out of balance if DC charges were never entered, they slipped through unnoticed. When CUBS was put into place, all of those past charges threw our balances out of kilter. It wasn't that CUBS took money out, it was just that we had never properly accounted for money that was actually spent.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”