Manual Adjustments by Unit

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
khasay12

Manual Adjustments by Unit

Post by khasay12 »

Headquarters sent a "fix" to a problem I was having to balance the Other Account with the ending balance on the bank statement. In the process, they added money to the budget allowance column under "Manual Adjustments by Unit." I never made such an adjustment. Does anyone know what it means?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

khasay wrote:Headquarters sent a "fix" to a problem I was having to balance the Other Account with the ending balance on the bank statement. In the process, they added money to the budget allowance column under "Manual Adjustments by Unit." I never made such an adjustment. Does anyone know what it means?
Just saw this appear in at least one of my units. It showed up in the view/edit budget screen. What really makes no sense to me is that it was a negative amount. Due to a CUBS transition bug, most of the units in my stake have an MLS balance in Other that is LESS than what UFS shows. In addition, some have MLS budget balances that are LESS than what UFS shows. For both of these, I would expect the adjustment to be a credit. Instead, it is debit. I'm going to have to investigate this further.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Ok, I tracked it down. It appears this is linked to any transactions made in the Budget: Allocations category or any of its sub-categories. I've noticed it in a couple units, and it's been the same cause in both. The unit accidentally cuts a check from Budget: Allocations instead of the actual subcategory intended. Since this check decreases the actual allocation, the view/edit budget screen shows this by decreasing the total budget by the amount of the expense(s).

The fix was to recategorize the checks so they drew from a category other than Budget:Allocations. Simple fix, and made sense once I realized it.

To find the expenses causing the problem, run a detail budget report on Budget:Allocations. Include all its subcategories.
primetime5

Post by primetime5 »

Where do we run a "Budget allowance detail report?"
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

primetime5 wrote:Where do we run a "Budget allowance detail report?"
Finances > Budget Report
Select "Detail" under report type.
Deselect all categories.
Select just Budget:Allocation category and any of its subcategories.
Print or Print preview the report.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”