LUWS Problem Logging In

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
BenJoeM-p40

LUWS Problem Logging In

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

I am the Web Admin for our LUWS. Today I went to log in and it says that our Stake is not participating. But it is? Then I went to search and searched for my stake and I found it and I found our site, but I still can't log on.

Any ideas.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Similar problems have happened if you try logging in while the church is upgrading. Might just have to wait a bit.
- David
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

A number of times recently, when LUWS has been in the middle of an upgrade, users have received messages that their stake was not participating, which has been just plain wrong. I can't help wondering why a more accurate message isn't issued, something like "The system is not available right now, try again in a few hours." During planned outages, it would seem more reasonable to switch over to the "not available" message, do the outage, then switch back. It would save a lot of people a lot of confusion.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

There appears to be an operational problem that is not specifically linked to any upgrades. It should be up and running again soon. I will post any news I get.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

It should be working now.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

rmrichesjr wrote:A number of times recently, when LUWS has been in the middle of an upgrade, users have received messages that their stake was not participating, which has been just plain wrong. I can't help wondering why a more accurate message isn't issued, something like "The system is not available right now, try again in a few hours." During planned outages, it would seem more reasonable to switch over to the "not available" message, do the outage, then switch back. It would save a lot of people a lot of confusion.

In another thread this suggestion was given and passed onto the LUWS team. Hopefully in another upgrade they'll implement that.
- David
ShirtsDre

Incident Resolved

Post by ShirtsDre »

There are weekly night cron updates to the membership data for LUWS. The main update this last week failed. When members brought this failure to our attention, we worked as quickly as possible to get it resolved. It has now been corrrected.

To date, an out of service page for LUWS was not created nor implemented. We now have such a page for scheduled, manned service outtages: https://secure.lds.org/scheduled_maintenance.html . If the update is a weekly or nightly cron job, it is always expected to run fairly quickly and not cause any major disruption in site usage, so this out of service page will not be used.

In the case when there is a major system issue that is affecting the entire LUWS site will we use the out of service redirect. Other than that we will keep the whole site running and deal with incidents on a page by page basis.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:If the update is a weekly or nightly cron job, it is always expected to run fairly quickly and not cause any major disruption in site usage, so this out of service page will not be used.

Even then you sometimes have people that will log on at random times. And as LUWS spreads you cannot guarantee that night here isn't the middle of the day in another place where you'll be using LUWS. Best protocol would most likely be to have a line in the script that says to modify the link at the start of the update and place the link back after the update has finished.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Even then you sometimes have people that will log on at random times. And as LUWS spreads you cannot guarantee that night here isn't the middle of the day in another place where you'll be using LUWS.
Or that an Admin isn't on the graveyard shift. It gets kinda nasty when bad timing causes loss of admin privileges.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:Or that an Admin isn't on the graveyard shift. It gets kinda nasty when bad timing causes loss of admin privileges.

Guess all Admins should be given a Urim and Thummin just to predict when the site will be down. :D
- David

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”