How to remove stake events from iCal sync

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
simplesoren

How to remove stake events from iCal sync

Post by simplesoren »

I am a 2nd counselor in a bishopric and have used the personal Subscription Link to add the calendar to my iPad but the excessive amount of stake events crowds out my calendar. I have tried unchecking the stake events in the web version of my LDS.org calendar but it does not affect the subscription calendar. What suggestions do you have? If I remove the stake calendar in the 'manage calendars' will that remove it from view of all the ward members also or just my own calendar? Thanks for your help.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

simplesoren wrote:If I remove the stake calendar in the 'manage calendars' will that remove it from view of all the ward members also or just my own calendar? Thanks for your help.

It will only remove the events for you own calendar.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

simplesoren wrote:I am a 2nd counselor in a bishopric and have used the personal Subscription Link to add the calendar to my iPad but the excessive amount of stake events crowds out my calendar. I have tried unchecking the stake events in the web version of my LDS.org calendar but it does not affect the subscription calendar. What suggestions do you have? If I remove the stake calendar in the 'manage calendars' will that remove it from view of all the ward members also or just my own calendar? Thanks for your help.
The calendar sync feature accesses all the calendars to which you have subscribed. Currently the only way to remove the stake calendars is to unsubscribe to them. Removing any calendars listed in "Subscribed Calendars" list only removes those calendars from being displayed on your web calendar.

To unsubscribe to a calendar select "Select Subscriptions" from the Options menu. Then at the Select Subscriptions page click unsubscribe in the second column next to the name of the calendar.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
flyboyscott

Post by flyboyscott »

I've had issues with the sync as well. I wish that the several separate calendars I see online would come over to my iCal applications as separate calendars, but they don't. I found a workaround though.

First of all I tried unsubscribing my Stake calendars and creating a sync but it didn't work. The reason it didn't is because I was "unsubscribing" from the main calendar view with the subscription list on the right. I was going down the list and unchecking the calendars I did not want to sync assuming that they would not come across. This doesn't work because that check does not unsubscribe a calendar but just turns it off in the display. You have to go to Options->Select Subscriptions page. From here you unsubscribe the calendars you don't want synced. This may have been obvious to most but was a revelation to me.

I wanted a separate calendar sync for my stake that is separate from my ward. The stake calendar never changes for me so I don't really care if it updates. But my ward calendar changes all the time.

So here's my solution. I first go into the Options->Select Subscriptions page and unsubscribe all the ward calendars. Then I go to the calendar and Options->Sync. At the top of the page I hit the "Generate New Key" button. This creates a unique URL for this sync. I go to iCal and subscribe this calendar and for the update option I tell it NO.

Now go back to the Options->Select Subscriptions page and unsubscribe all the stake calendars and subscribe the ward calendars. Navigate back to the calendar and then to Options->Sync. Again, hit the "Generate New Key" button. This is important because it you subscribe the same key in iCal it will overwrite your last sync. Copy the URL into iCal and this time I tell it to update at my desired interval.

That's it. I now have two separate calendars in my iCal and I can turn off the Stake calendar to view only Ward events and vise versa. This is admittedly not the best solution but until someone has a better suggestion this works for me. Ultimately I would like to have every calendar online synced to its own calendar in my iCal so that they can all be updated automatically. If anyone can make that happen let me know.

Return to “Calendar”