Tracking Callings for a Ward

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
sbenboy-p40

Tracking Callings for a Ward

Post by sbenboy-p40 »

Hi,

My bishop has given me (assistant ward clerk) the assignment of finding software that will track callings within the ward. He asked me to find something that showed the hierchal structure of every division in a graphical format (like a family tree). He wanted to be able to load the ward MLS to easily view who had callings and how long each person was in their position.

Is there anything out there that can possibly handle such a request???

Appreciate any input!

Thanks,
Shane Bennee
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't know any off the top of my head. What you want is "Org Chart" software to get the graphical picture.

I'm not clear on what you meant by "loading MLS". MLS has the fields for who, what and how long. (For that matter so does LUWS.) However, MLS also has a report of who doesn't have a calling.

There is no way to import information into MLS, but there are ways of exporting information out of it.

Edit: A quick Google turned up this page - some templates for OpenOffice. OpenOffice should already be installed on your ward's computer. If not, feel free to download it and put it on.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Some method to track callings by person might also be helpful. Here's why:

Awhile ago my bishop requested an appointment with me. His warmup pitch was that it came to his attention that I had not had a calling in some time, and he now had something for me to do. Stunned, I asked, "Really? Why don't you think I have a calling?" He glanced at his magnetic whiteboard, where my name sat idly at the bottom in the company of unassigned folks. I started laughing, then explained to him that at the time, I was doing the following:
SA Rep
FH consultant
SS teacher
visiting teaching
ward music chairman
directing sacrament meeting music

We laughed together and he admitted that he needed another system.
jkarras-p40

Post by jkarras-p40 »

sbenboy wrote:Hi,
My bishop has given me (assistant ward clerk) the assignment of finding software that will track callings within the ward. He asked me to find something that showed the hierchal structure of every division in a graphical format (like a family tree). He wanted to be able to load the ward MLS to easily view who had callings and how long each person was in their position.

Is there anything out there that can possibly handle such a request???
While not in a graphical family tree style. MLS will print the Ward Org chart in three formats.

1. By organization
2. By Member name (good for finding people with to many callings)
3. By Calling name
4. People with out callings.

Being away from MLS at the moment. I can't remember if number 4 is a separate list or if its included at the bottom of report 2. Report 1 seems pretty close to what your Bishop wants. Has he seen this? Is your ward organization filled out in MLS? Does he want a large family tree style print out to put on a wall? Or just to see things in their groupings?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

You may want to check out [thread=452]this thread[/thread]. This person has created a software program to help Bishops with various duties. It may not be exactly what you are looking for but it does have some nice features and at least may give you ideas.

Tom
thomasjking

Post by thomasjking »

am i missing something?
one of my callings is to keep the unit web site up to date with all the callings for each org in the unit. which i do.
would this be a help or starting point for someone trying to figure who is doing what?
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Some people keep it up to date and some do not. MLS also stores the callings as long as the ward clerk keeps it up to date. And finally most bishops have a huge chart in their office that they try to keep up to date. Since all three have separate ways of updating them it depends who has the latest information. What tom suggested was combining the MLS and the Bishop version into one version with some 3rd party software.

Since there is no way as of now to automate the update of the website you will still have to keep that updated as best you can and hopefully the clerks keep in sync with you with MLS.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One disadvantage of using the website for callings is it doesn't tell you who doesn't have callings.

And unless you have Internet access at Church, you can't reference it at Church.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Yes, that is a disadvantage which is why Tom suggested the other thread about it so that the bishop could just sync up with MLS. Now if MLS could just project a chart onto the wall of the leadership organization and what needs to be filled, that would be a very useful feature.
- David
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

I wish MLS had a calling history. In addition to the auxillary view with service date, individual history on callings would be valuable history to have.

Dave

Return to “Other Member Technologies”