Android 3.0 development?

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
jlpage3

Android 3.0 on a Nook Color

Post by jlpage3 »

I have been running Android 3.0 Honeycomb on a $249 Nook Color for about a month now. I would really like to have the scriptures and other Church material on this device. (I am using a Dell Streak 5 now with the Gospel Library on it - but I want to use the larger 7" screen) I can download the Gospel Library from the Android Market and when I open the application it downloads the content to my SD card (which I can verify with Astro). But as others have reported, when I try to view a particular chapter with verses nothing is there. I am not a programmer, but it seems to me if I can see the entire outline of the scriptures when I open the app and I can see all of the content on my SD card it wouldn't take much of a fix to point the app to the content. Anyway - my 2 cents. I would be willing to beta test whatever gets done by whoever. I have beta tested other pieces of software in the past.
marcekb

Xoom Xoom

Post by marcekb »

For what it may help, as mentioned, GL works all the way up to the point that you look at the actual scripture content. However, one additional note is that when doing a search, you CAN see the scriptural content along with the references in the search results. However, when you select any reference, the screen is again blank on the actual text of the scripture.

It seems like a pretty minor change to display the text, maybe a matter of the screen formatting... I'm also happy to test as needed.
john_glancy

Post by john_glancy »

We also have two Nook Colors in our family. They were modded to boot FroYo from microSD and Gospel Library were their number one use.

We made the upgrade to Honeycomb last week (MUCH better interface! especially solving the problem of no "back" button on the Nook) and installed all the apps. But didn't realize the Gospel Library app wasn't actually working until Sunday morning :)

We would be happy to be beta-testers for the app if needed. Otherwise, it's back to FroYo until then :(
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

The problem with viewing some items has been reported on other devices as well, not just the Nook or some of the others mentioned in this thread. In fact, it's the same Adobe formatting error I've heard about elsewhere on LDS Tech.

Android 3.0 has better Flash support based on news reports about the Xoom and also other as yet unnamed devices planned for later this year that will use it.
jallmitch

Post by jallmitch »

I don't believe that the problem that Android 3.0 devices are seeing, is flash related. First, I don't see flash being used in the GLA code. Second, after installing Flash 10.2 the same problem persists. There is a difference between Android 2.X and Android 3.X that is causing the text to not be displayed.
kevin.harris

Post by kevin.harris »

I was looking into the problem tonight, and it appears to be the script tag in the html for the ScriptureViewActivity. I made a change locally and I am able to see the content now. There are other issues formatting the activities for tablets, but nothing that prevents using the app.
jlpage3

Post by jlpage3 »

Kevin,
Is it possible for you to share with us step-by-step what you did to be able to see the content? I would certainly like to try to do the same on my device.
wlpoulson

Post by wlpoulson »

Sounds promising. Let us know how your progress is going. Right now I am using Reveal on my rooted Nook Color w/Honeycomb. I would like to get Library running in order to compare the two.
kevin.harris

Post by kevin.harris »

I made changes to the v1 source and rebuilt the app to get it to work. If you know how to build from source I can easily tell you what to change. I don't know if it is OK to share the app I built. I would be happy to share what I have if it is OK.
marcekb

Post by marcekb »

kevin.harris wrote:I made changes to the v1 source and rebuilt the app to get it to work. If you know how to build from source I can easily tell you what to change. I don't know if it is OK to share the app I built. I would be happy to share what I have if it is OK.

I think as long as you are not charging money, it would be fine. The Church uses volunteers to assist with the coding and makes its content available for no cost. I'd love to get the app, even just as a stopgap until the official update comes out. How would you suggest file transfer? (e-mail, otherwise?)

Thanks!

Return to “Android Gospel Library”