Fast Offerings via DIK

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ckmcdonald

Fast Offerings via DIK

Post by ckmcdonald »

When a member donates in kind and contributes to the FO fund a letter is mailed to the members Bishop stating the donation was made. Is any action required of the ward finance clerk on receipt of this notification?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:When a member donates in kind and contributes to the FO fund a letter is mailed to the members Bishop stating the donation was made. Is any action required of the ward finance clerk on receipt of this notification?
No. I don't know for sure if you will see anything come down in CUBS (I doubt it), but even if you do, it won't be a donation that you need to tie to the member. The donation was receipted by CHQ and they will send him any tax statements.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

aebrown wrote:No. I don't know for sure if you will see anything come down in CUBS (I doubt it), but even if you do, it won't be a donation that you need to tie to the member. The donation was receipted by CHQ and they will send him any tax statements.

What then is the purpose of the notification? I believe notification is given only for FO donations.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:What then is the purpose of the notification? I believe notification is given only for FO donations.
Notification is definitely given when the donation affects the Ward Missionary fund; I've had experience with that. In that case (which was pre-CUBS) the donation had to be credited to the correct missionary. Now that we have CUBS, I would guess that the donation would be automatically credited to the correct missionary via CUBS.

I suppose with FO it's possible that the local ward will get a credit showing up. It obviously won't affect the actual FO balance, since that is always zero, but it might be done to more accurately reflect the balance between donations and expenses.

But I am certain that you don't tie DIK to a member as a donation -- that is definitely handled at CHQ.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

True about the WM fund - I hadn't thought about that - I have never had that happen.

It makes me wonder if the FO DIK donation notification is intended to help the Bishop track the net flow of his wards FO funds.
I'm tempted to wonder if it's accounted for in the FO reporting part of MLS (automatically), or if the notification is telling me to enter it some how so it is accounted for in MLS. (I haven't looked at MLS yet)

It's also curious that it bears the donors name. If it's just to notify the Bishop of the donation, why are they silent about HA/PEF donations?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:It makes me wonder if the FO DIK donation notification is intended to help the Bishop track the net flow of his wards FO funds.

That's possible.
ckmcdonald wrote:I'm tempted to wonder if it's accounted for in the FO reporting part of MLS (automatically), or if the notification is telling me to enter it some how so it is accounted for in MLS. (I haven't looked at MLS yet)

Given the clear philosophy of CUBS, I find it very hard to believe that you would be expected to enter anything in MLS. All credits and charges to the unit that originate at CHQ are sent down via CUBS. If there does need to be a transaction in MLS for a DIK, it makes no sense for it to be done manually at the ward level.
ckmcdonald wrote:It's also curious that it bears the donors name. If it's just to notify the Bishop of the donation, why are they silent about HA/PEF donations?
CHQ is definitely silent about Tithing paid by DIK as well. Humanitarian Aid and Perpetual Education Fund donations have nothing to do with the ward, and that's why the ward doesn't hear about such donations made to CHQ. So it seems logical to conclude that the FO donation somehow affected the ward. The only way I can conceive of that being the case is that it affects the reporting of donations vs expenses in the ward.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”