ASL Broadcast of Christmas Devotional

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
schester

ASL Broadcast of Christmas Devotional

Post by schester »

Does anyone know for sure if the ASL version of the Christmas Devotional will be available two hours after it starts? My stake wants to delay the broadcast and show only the ASL version for a new unit we are trying to start. It is my understanding that we don't have the satellite equipment to receive the ASL transmission, so we'd need to watch it online. I understand it will be streamed live, but I don't see any confirmation if it will be available again immediately after the broadcast.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

You most certainly do have the equipment to receive the ASL broadcast, but your satellite receiver is not programmed to receive it. Take a look at the broadcast instructions here. The available video languages are "American Sign Language, English, French, Portuguese (Brazil), and Spanish". You didn't say whether you wanted to watch the broadcast live in "non-ASL mode", but with the permission of your Stake President, you certainly could have had your receiver programmed to receive the ASL broadcast by calling the support number listed in the satellite instructions. (I say "could have" because it's a bit late to set this up now, the night before the broadcast.) Hopefully the online archive will be done quickly.
schester

Post by schester »

Well unfortunately we didn't have the two week notice that this was going to happen to plan adequately for it. I understand the plan is to do this more frequently and if the unit is started, we will order another receiver for the ASL broadcasts.

We will not be watching it live in English, only providing a 2 hr delay in ASL.

I'm with you on the hoping it is available immediately online!

-Scott.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might be able to contact Satellite Support one hour before the broadcast and ask that your receiver be switched over to ASL.

Then you can watch "live" the rebroadcast that's 2 hours after the actual showing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Our stake has two receivers with one assigned to receive the ASL format. The last broadcast we watched was supposed to be received in ASL, but because of a glitch in configuring the receiver all we got was the closed captioning.

Following a quick call to the satellite desk they switched us over to the ASL signal in a matter of seconds. I would agree that it's better to check this in advance, but in emergency situations it can be done relatively quickly.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
schester

Thanks for the suggestion

Post by schester »

Russell,

Thank you so much for the suggestion to call satellite support. I didn't realize it was so easy for them to reprogram the receiver.

I tried to get on here to thank you that day, but the server always seems to be down or overloaded for me on Sunday's.

I was able to call satellite services and they were able to reprogram the receiver in a few seconds. It worked flawlessly and couldn't have been any better.

Thanks again for the tip!

Scott.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Good to know it can be done "on the fly". Sorry I was so pessimistic in my original post. :)
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

RussellHltn wrote:You might be able to contact Satellite Support one hour before the broadcast and ask that your receiver be switched over to ASL.

Then you can watch "live" the rebroadcast that's 2 hours after the actual showing.
This is correct. Satellite Support is available one 1 hour prior to the start of a broadcast, and through it’s duration (including any test and rebroadcast times), and 8am to 4 pm Monday through Friday MST. While in this case you might not have been able to call sooner, It is always wise to do so, as many people wait till the last moment to test their systems, and the wait can be extremely long.
Steve Poulsen - Meetinghouse Facilities Technology Engineer
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

schester wrote:Russell,

Thank you so much for the suggestion to call satellite support. I didn't realize it was so easy for them to reprogram the receiver.

I tried to get on here to thank you that day, but the server always seems to be down or overloaded for me on Sunday's.

I was able to call satellite services and they were able to reprogram the receiver in a few seconds. It worked flawlessly and couldn't have been any better.

Thanks again for the tip!

Scott.
I should mention to those reading this thread that the ASL stream is not available in all meeting house. Because the ASL stream is broadcast on the same satellite as the C-Band signal, it is only available in those meetinghouses where the Satellite Dish is pointed at the "Normal" (G-19) satellite. There is a Ku feed to meetinghouse in the US as well, and ASL is not available on this stream. If you are unsure which you have, you can look at the size of the satellite dish. The C-Band feed uses larger dishes 10 to 12 feet in diameter, whereas the KU feed uses smaller dishes, which are elliptical in shape, and 4 to 6 feet in diameter.
Steve Poulsen - Meetinghouse Facilities Technology Engineer
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

StevePoulsen wrote:I should mention to those reading this thread that the ASL stream is not available in all meeting house. Because the ASL stream is broadcast on the same satellite as the C-Band signal, it is only available in those meetinghouses where the Satellite Dish is pointed at the "Normal" (G-19) satellite. There is a Ku feed to meetinghouse in the US as well, and ASL is not available on this stream. If you are unsure which you have, you can look at the size of the satellite dish. The C-Band feed uses larger dishes 10 to 12 feet in diameter, whereas the KU feed uses smaller dishes, which are elliptical in shape, and 4 to 6 feet in diameter.

That explains why we didnt get an ASL stream, we have a Ku band dish at our stake center.

Aaron Z

Return to “Satellite”