Help with Family Search Indexing and Ubuntu

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
Meb85-p40

Help with Family Search Indexing and Ubuntu

Post by Meb85-p40 »

Hi, I have just installed the sun program for ubuntu, and everithing works, but whaen i try to send the batches completed, it said that it not possible to transmit them, try again later. I am conneted on the internet and it's working. Maybe it's a Java problem? Anyone can help?
Thank you
Elena
BrotherNod-p40

Post by BrotherNod-p40 »

Do you save the batches you are working on to your computer or on line?

I am using Ubuntu on my computer and have been doing batches online and haven't had any problems yet.
When I installed the software, it was suggested to save the batches online instead of to your own computer.
jbfriend43-p40

how did you install indexing in Ubuntu?

Post by jbfriend43-p40 »

Please give me a blow by blow explanation of how to install Indexing in Ubuntu. i have not been successful at all with the installation.
bstolp

indexing

Post by bstolp »

My computer doesn't allow me to get onto the family search site. It says there is a problem on your website. It says finding and dlownloading properies file Loading property file from [url]https://indexing.,familysearch.org/is0aapps/lude-luancher-properties.jsp[/url] properties loaded Launcher version:3.7.1107894 No main class specified-see launcher properties.file parameter launcher.main.class java.lang.illegalArgumentException.No main class specified-see launcher properties.file parameter launchermain class at orf.familysearch.indexing.launcher.LauncherPrep/Taskrun(launcherPrepTaskjava83atjava.lang.Thread.run(unknown Source)
danpass

Post by danpass »

bstolp wrote:My computer doesn't allow me to get onto the family search site. It says there is a problem on your website. It says finding and dlownloading properies file Loading property file from [url]https://indexing.,familysearch.org/is0aapps/lude-luancher-properties.jsp[/url] properties loaded Launcher version:3.7.1107894 No main class specified-see launcher properties.file parameter launcher.main.class java.lang.illegalArgumentException.No main class specified-see launcher properties.file parameter launchermain class at orf.familysearch.indexing.launcher.LauncherPrep/Taskrun(launcherPrepTaskjava83atjava.lang.Thread.run(unknown Source)
I just installed the indexing program in Ubuntu (10.10 - 2.6.35-28 kernel) and was able to download, index and submit a batch with no problem. When I sign in, there is a support message dated March 13th, which says that due to the recent move to a new data center, until the system stabilizes, "you may encounter challenges occasionally as you open the program, or download and submit batches". The advice given, is to wait a few minutes and try again.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

You're right.

What I found was that it would go up for a while, ghen go down, and be back up within typically five minutes, sometime it was only seconds, one time it was ten minutes. This was observed when updating the indexing software on about 20 computers at my FHC on Sunday night.

So all you have to do when you get any error message instead of the indexing software opening is wait a few minutes, and try to log in. You should be able to get in pretty much right away unless you just happen to hit it when it is down again. These outages will always be temporary until they resolve them.

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”