The Quality Assurance and Software Development Groups in ICS are hiring

Interested in working for the Church? Ask questions and discuss opportunities with recruiters here.
nicholsjp-p40

The Quality Assurance and Software Development Groups in ICS are hiring

Post by nicholsjp-p40 »

Did you know that the Information and Communication Systems (ICS) Department we have several IT recruiters that each specialize in recruiting in different aspects of technology? My job is to find top LDS talent in the areas of Software Quality Assurance, Software Development, Release Management, Risk Analysts, and Management and Sr. Management in those areas.

Do you or anyone you know have the top talent necessary in one of these areas?

All of our open jobs can be found on the website at http://www.lds.org/jobs. My suggestion is that you use the job search link and scroll down to select "Information Technology" in the job:category box. That way you filter out all the non-IT jobs.

You can also email jobs to a friend by opening up the specific job and scrolling to the bottom of the page.
HaleDN
Church Employee
Church Employee

applying for the next job

Post by HaleDN »

I used this web site to apply at the Church and it lead to a full time position. I didn't even have an opportunity to interview for the first few positions that I applied for either because they had already interviewed enough candidates for the position or the hiring manager didn't think that my resume indicated that I was a good fit for the job. So here are my suggestions:

1. Get your information entered into the system. Once you do this, you will receive email notifications of jobs which the system thinks you may be qualified for. It is just probably looking at some keyword matching, so you are a much better evaluator as to whether you should actually apply for that position or not. Here timing is very important too. If there a whole bunch of candidates for the same position, those that respond earliest may have a slight advantage over those that wait days or weeks to apply. (It makes sense that they will hire the best qualified person they can find as soon as they can, rather than hope for someone better to come along later)

2. If you would consider several different types of positions, create a slightly different resume depending which position you are looking for. Recruiters and hiring managers often take just a few seconds at first to scan resumes to look for the best candidates before going back and looking more in depth for more. If your resume isn't targeted for the position you are applying for, you may miss out on the first chance for an interview.

3. Don't underestimate the importance of professional networking and following up. Take advantage of every opportunity to speak with people who you might end up working with (church, neighborhoods, school, professional conferences, or local users groups), managers (whether they are personally hiring or not... but who may know those who are), or even people who just happen to work at the same organization. All of these people can put in a good word with the recruiter for you, so that even a somewhat generic resume can stand out from the crowd. If you do get an opportunity to speak with the hiring manager or recruiter, make a point to regularly follow up (but not too much to make yourself a nuisance). Again, the follow-up ensures that your resume may stand out from the crowd (hopefully bring your resume from the middle of the stack, back to the top!)

Good luck!

-David
nicholsjp-p40

Post by nicholsjp-p40 »

I agree with David's three tips. I feel most strongly about points 1 and 3.

When a job is first posted the natural tendency is for the recruiter and the hiring manager to pay close attention to the first few resumes that come in. We are interested in seeing who is applying for the job and to get an interview roster set up. Once our interview docket is filled, we can afford to be a bit more selective on who we interview. (Especially since we most likely will have newer jobs that command our attention). We'll continue to review resumes until the job is filled; however, don't be discouraged if you see a job that has been out there for awhile. We are working on each job listed and close them promptly when we don't need more applicants. A job that has been out there for awhile could be that hard to fill job that we are most anxious to fill.

Regarding point 3, we have many unqualified and marginally qualified applicants. We have several applicants who have been a bit "generous" in their assessment of their qualifications. The best thing you can do is speak to someone who knows you and works for the Church. They can provide a recommendation on your candidacy from the inside.

One common misconception however, is that you can get a better chance at an interview if you contact a recruiting agency that works with or claims to work with the Church in lieu of submitting your application on line. Recruiting agencies cost the Church a lot of money when we use them. You do not gain any significant advantage over applying directly on line or contacting one of the Church's internal recruiters.

If you do get a chance to contact a Church recruiter, email is usually best as a first contact. If you do call, always ask if it is a good time to talk. Recruiters often fill up with appointments with candidates and we don't like to be late!
nicholsjp-p40

Calling all LDS QA engineers (with great automation skills)

Post by nicholsjp-p40 »

We have an urgent need for several solid software QA engineers in Salt Lake City. They must have good automation skills though. We have different level positions for people with 2 years of experience all the way to the most senior. Now is the time for the referrals (or to apply) if you have been putting it off!!!

Justin Nichols
ICS Recruiting

We also have some great internships in a unique program, but to qualify for an internship you must be enrolled in a college or have recently graduated within the last 12 months.

Return to “Technical Recruiting”