Deleted/changed event gets emailed

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
darthpaul

Deleted/changed event gets emailed

Post by darthpaul »

Hello All,

I had entered an event incorrectly, and i can't remember if i deleted it or just changed it, but an email went out for the incorrect date. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Paul Reeves
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

darthpaul wrote:I had entered an event incorrectly, and i can't remember if i deleted it or just changed it, but an email went out for the incorrect date. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Are you asking about the new Calendar or the calendar that is part of the "Classic" ward and stake websites? I'll assume you are talking about the new Calendar.

With the new Calendar, as you create or edit or delete an event you make the choice whether you want to notify subscribers. The default is not to notify, so for notifications associated with the add/edit/delete you would have to specifically choose to send out a notification.

Another possibility is that when you create an event you can specify that a notification is to be sent out x days/hours/minutes before the event. In that case, it's possible that the notification was sent out relative to the incorrect date sometime before you went back and deleted or changed it. Particularly if your mistake was to specify an earlier date than the correct date, you might have been surprised at how early such a notification was sent out.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
darthpaul

Post by darthpaul »

Thanks for your reply.

I am using the new Calendar. I think that it was entered incorrectly about 6 weeks ago, then corrected the next day, and the incorrect date was emailed out yesterday.

I don't think that the problem was on my end, because the mistake and correction happened a while ago and the email went out so recently.

Paul
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

darthpaul wrote:I am using the new Calendar. I think that it was entered incorrectly about 6 weeks ago, then corrected the next day, and the incorrect date was emailed out yesterday.

I don't think that the problem was on my end, because the mistake and correction happened a while ago and the email went out so recently.

What was the incorrect date? Is it possible that the recent notification was indeed sent out relative to the original incorrect date? Do you recall if the original event was set up to have a notification x days before the event?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
marmat

Same issue here

Post by marmat »

I am having the same thing happen. Anyone else?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

marmat wrote:I am having the same thing happen. Anyone else?
Could you give more details about your experience? Is this something that happens on every event, or only occasionally, or only once?
danyelchiland

Same problem

Post by danyelchiland »

About 1 week prior to the scheduled event, I added the event to the calendar, deleted, then re-added the event within a 24 hour period of the first entry. Days later I received (as did every subscriber for that calendar) 2 email notifications for the same event. My guess is, once the first entry was cancelled, the corresponding email to be sent some days later was not cancelled. I did not request a cancellation notification because the circumstances did not require one. It was a case of having two notifications sent because two events had been entered at different times, even though one was cancelled.

I hope that is clear and helps to work out the bug.

Enjoying the new calendar and thank you for your work!
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

With the 1.6.7 release of the calendar that went out yesterday we addressed a problem with multiple messages and incorrect data being sent out in reminders. This problem should be resolved.
teuscher

Email notifications still not working

Post by teuscher »

Are you sure that resolved the issue? I am still having multiple problems with the email notifications. Some are not being sent out at the proper time (even without rescheduling issues discussed above). These are scheduled to be sent 2 days prior to an event and are sent out 15 minutes prior to the event start. In another case, 50+ copies of the same email were sent to all calendar subscribers over a 2 hour period. The emails only stopped when I deleted the event from the calendar.

Return to “Calendar”