Several New Calendar issues

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
porterjl

Several New Calendar issues

Post by porterjl »

1) As a Stake Clerk, I can't see the calendars of all units in my stake. If I go to to the Calendar Subscribe, all I see if my ward calendars and the stake calendars. I have no way of seeing all events scheduled for units in the stake. Support folks told me to uncheck all the calendars boxes and to check all the location boxes, then I would see everything. NOT. I only see my ward and the stake stuff.

2) They need to create a check/uncheck all box so I can easily clear the checked calendars. There are 20 calendars between my home ward and the stake. The uncheck process is very slow. It takes forever to clear the checks.

3) They need to give us a way to save an event without having to do a check for conflicts. Obviously we can see other things for that day when we click the day to add the event. I really don't think we need this conflict check.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

For your first issue, unchecking calendars listed in the Subscribed Calendars list and only viewing those from the Subscribed Locations is what I think the support people were trying to get you to do.

Just by logging onto the calendar application will not allow you to see other wards within your stake. You must take the additional step to clear all subscribed stake calendars and all your home ward calendars from being viewed by unchecking all the calendars listed in the Subscribed Calendars list. From the calendar help it says:
Stake approvers, calendar editors, and building schedulers can see events from other ward calendars through the Subscribed Locations feature, but the events do not indicate which ward the events belong to.
To view the events of the wards you must select the location of the ward for which you want to view events in the Subscribed Locations list. The problem appears to be that if more than one unit meets at the location you are viewing you will not be able to differentiate the events for a particular unit. Not being someone with those rights I cannot test this to see what exactly happens.

For your issue 2 there have been others identifying the same request in other threads. I agree there needs to be a single click way to uncheck all or check all for viewing.

I don't agree with most of your issue 3. Checking for conflicts is necessary to prevent scheduling conflicts for events using the same resource. There is currently no procedure to view a resource and how it has been scheduled before creating an event. For events that do not need to reserve a resource I would agree that checking for conflicts may be unnecessary. Having the "Other Location" selected as the "Location" could cause the "Check for Conflicts" button to function as the "Save" button. When any other location is selected then the current implementation is good.
...But on the other hand, in thinking of how an editor could forget to reserve a resource just by clicking Save could create problems also. With the current implementation they would see "There are 0 possible conflicts with your event. Assignment (0)Resource (0)Location (0)" in the red/orange conflict description for the event details. For some this is a good reminder that they have not reserved any resources for the event - It does for me at least.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
heyring

Post by heyring »

Good reply JD.. I too agree that checking for conflicts is not only necessary, but a great feature that has actually saved my Stake from scheduling conflicts on more than one occasion.

Porterjl - If this feature somehow prevents you from scheduling something the way you would like, then your calendar structure may need to be modified. We have 5 buildings in our Stake and we have a seperate calendar for each building that we use to schedule resources when we don't want the resource only items to show on everyone's calendar.

Hope this helps in some way.
porterjl

Post by porterjl »

Your solution to Item 1 was exactly what they told me to do. It doesn't work. If I clear all calendar checkboxes and click all location boxes, I can still only see the stake stuff and my ward stuff. I can see no other ward events
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

porterjl wrote:Your solution to Item 1 was exactly what they told me to do. It doesn't work. If I clear all calendar checkboxes and click all location boxes, I can still only see the stake stuff and my ward stuff. I can see no other ward events
Do you know for certain that a) the other wards are using the new calendar to schedule events, and b) that those events use the actual locations (not "Other Location") for their events? Unless those are both true, you won't see anything for other wards. Although our stake is using the new calendar, there are a couple of wards that are not using it or only minimally using it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
porterjl

Post by porterjl »

Here is what I have discovered. If I click all the location boxes including "unassigned location" box, I still only see my ward and the stake.

NOW FOR THE REVELATION. I met with ward calendar reps last night. If a ward enters an event on the calendar, I can see it, using the location checkbox. The reason I am not seeing any of the ward events is because they all entered them in the old calendar last Nov-Dec and then imported them to the new calendar. Those are the events I can't see. I cannot see events IMPORTED from the old calendar, but I CAN see events added to the new calendar.

Return to “Calendar”