MLS 3.3 login failure

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
VCDaBell

MLS 3.3 login failure

Post by VCDaBell »

A local unit was starting to print checks & MLS closed. Now we can't log into MLS.

- --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - ---
Invalid Entry (pop-up)
.....while ....attempting to verify the user and password: com.pointbase.me.jdbc.jdbcSQLException: Wrong cipher or version

...restore your database from a backup copy before you can proceed.

This is a serious problem that will prevent you from logging in.
- --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - --- - ---

It's a Catch-22, can't logon to restore database.

I've uninstalled and re-installed MLS 3.3, and now there is no Afaria anywhere & we still can't logon. It apparantly still has the logon IDs somewhere because you can pull up the list of names to choose from.

But, what if the unit wasn't at MLS 3.3? "Wrong cipher or version"

Has anyone had this situation before?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might try the Lost user names (MLS) process.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
thadzik

Post by thadzik »

VCDaBell wrote: I've uninstalled and re-installed MLS 3.3, and now there is no Afaria anywhere & we still can't logon. It apparantly still has the logon IDs somewhere because you can pull up the list of names to choose from.

But, what if the unit wasn't at MLS 3.3? "Wrong cipher or version"

Has anyone had this situation before?

I had a similar issue in one ward as well and I could find the place where the user list was still saved.

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church"
(This folder does not exist under Windows 7, so only related to Windows XP.)

So please delete this folder and reinstall MLS. MLS will then create a new such subfolder. Then you can contiune with your upload of the backup.

Kind regards

Thorsten
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

thadzik wrote:I had a similar issue in one ward as well and I could find the place where the user list was still saved.

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church"
So please delete this folder and reinstall MLS. MLS will then create a new such subfolder. Then you can contiune with your upload of the backup.
I would not recommend deleting the folder. More problems will be created than solved. Follow the instructions at the link Russell provided.

As a side note: The folder and path "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church" is for Windows 7 and not Windows XP as described. The Windows XP folder and path is "C:\Program Files\LDS Church".
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:As a side note: The folder and path "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church" is for Windows 7 and not Windows XP as described. The Windows XP folder and path is "C:\Program Files\LDS Church".

Actually, that's more of a MLS 3.3 thing. Prior versions kept the data in the Program Files directory, but that became a big no-no in Windows 7. So to make MLS Windows 7 compatible, the data is under "Documents and Settings" (which in Windows 7 point to "Users".)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:Actually, that's more of a MLS 3.3 thing. Prior versions kept the data in the Program Files directory, but that became a big no-no in Windows 7. So to make MLS Windows 7 compatible, the data is under "Documents and Settings" (which in Windows 7 point to "Users".)
I am well aware of the directory paths for MLS 3.3 and later based on installations for Windows 7 or Windows XP. I was correcting thadzik's parenthetical comment.
thadzik wrote:"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church"
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
thadzik

Post by thadzik »

RussellHltn wrote:Actually, that's more of a MLS 3.3 thing. Prior versions kept the data in the Program Files directory, but that became a big no-no in Windows 7. So to make MLS Windows 7 compatible, the data is under "Documents and Settings" (which in Windows 7 point to "Users".)
Well if you uninstall MLS 3.3 those files in the subfolder "Documents and Settings" will not be deleted. And after you reinstalll MLS you can open MLS and then it requires that you select a user and a password (the same user list that existed for that particular unit). But the login fails, because the data for this MLS got deleted except the user list.

And only deleting the above mentioned folder will allow you to reinstall MLS as usuall.

Please try yourself with a Windows XP computer.

Kind regards

Thorsten
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

thadzik wrote:Well if you uninstall MLS 3.3 those files in the subfolder "Documents and Settings" will not be deleted. And after you reinstalll MLS you can open MLS and then it requires that you select a user and a password (the same user list that existed for that particular unit). But the login fails, because the data for this MLS got deleted except the user list.

And only deleting the above mentioned folder will allow you to reinstall MLS as usuall.
If you follow the procedures in the Lost user names (MLS) page of the wiki as previously recommended in post # 2 the the issue posted by the OP will be corrected. There will be no need to uninstall MLS or delete any folders.
JD Lessley
VCDaBell

Post by VCDaBell »

I appreciate your feedback.

Here's the solution we finally found.
History: This problem had happened about three weeks before also, but someone "fixed" it before I could look at it. Thus, if it isn't broken don't fix it. Besides, it's hard to troubleshoot something that is working. No one seemed to know who or how it got resoved. The mystery was soon to be revealed, three weeks later.

Last night I was online with MLS Support, uninstalling / re-installing MLS for the fourth time, when the Ward Clerk walks in. I asked him if he needed the computer to which he, Bob, replied "no". I said good, because MLS wasn't working anyway. Well Bob says "Really, the last time it did that I had to restore it." Turns out that Bob is the one that fixed it last time. Prayers are answered, sometimes by Bob.

The problem wasn't with MLS, although that is where the pop-up came from. It was with Windows XP.

The cure: Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Restore

I selected a point before the "failure", did a System Restore and they're back in action.

Thanks for your responses,

Verlyn...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

VCDaBell wrote:did a System Restore and they're back in action.

OK, now the question is what changed to break it? If it's happened twice, it's likely to happen again.

The only thing I can think of is a virus of some kind. Is this computer on the Internet? If not, I'd get it somewhere where it can update Sophos.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”