Unit Boundries Repository ?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

I imagine that there is a computer system at CHQ
that keeps track of all the Unit Boundries.
It would be interesting to hear how it stores the
information, what challenges they are overcoming,
etc.

Also, how confidential are unit boundries, anyway ?
It seems that if there were a boundries lookup tool
on lds.org, it could allow a human to compare it to
the output from the Meetinghouse Locator, and
determine which is more accurate. Are boundries
already listed publicly, and I just missed them in the
vastness of lds.org ?

Thanks,
Atticus Ewig
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Good question. I've always seen boundaries either described or placed on a map. The description is usually a good cure for insomnia (South on Main St., East on 5th Ave, South on Maple, East on 4th, North on 6th, Up the hill at the end of the street, North on the ridge line, ....... etc.)

If the leaders call in to SLC, they can get a map that shows the boundaries. How they figure out who goes in what ward on a move out/in is a good question. The idea of placing maps on LUWS has been proposed and supposedly is in the works.

I suspect part of the issue is one of copyrights and that most mapping stuff available seems to support points and routes, but not areas.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

We are working on a new GIS database that supports layers of information. Theoretically, using this new database you could find unit boundaries, temple districts, mission districts, etc. There are multiple layers of data in the database that represent different data feeds. As to if we will make this data available is not clear.

Tom
james_francisco

Post by james_francisco »

This would be so helpful. I spent about an hour on Sunday working with the stake clerk of an adjoining stake to come to a common knowledge of the boundaries of a chunk of a ward that we gave that stake. It would also be helpful in designing ward divisions and realignments. Especially if, as a result, we created a common syntax for describing ward boundaries. Perhaps combining landmarks and lat-long coordinates would work well.
tomw wrote:We are working on a new GIS database that supports layers of information. Theoretically, using this new database you could find unit boundaries, temple districts, mission districts, etc. There are multiple layers of data in the database that represent different data feeds. As to if we will make this data available is not clear.

Tom
cottrells

Unit Boundries in the UK

Post by cottrells »

In the UK I expect it is common to define unit boundaries by using postcodes. As they are widely known and understood by the public, any member moving house can easily find out what their new postcode will be. Then by using the on-line tool on LDS.org.uk they can find out to which unit that area belongs.

Incidentally, it would be useful function if clerks could designate the postcode as the geocode in MLS or at least see household postcode information on the screen when inputting the geocode.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Hmmm. That sounds like UK ward boundaries match postcode boundaries. Zip codes are not related to US boundaries.
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

RussellHltn wrote: I've always seen boundaries either described or placed on a map. The description is usually a good cure for insomnia (South on Main St., East on 5th Ave, South on Maple, East on 4th, North on 6th, Up the hill at the end of the street, North on the ridge line, ....... etc.)

I've been involved in two unit creations/realignments in the past year. The CHQ folks only wanted us to submit a map showing proposed changes. As Russell stated, I requested (or had on hand) a plotter sized map for the affected area and marked the changes on it. This tells me SLC no longer tracks changes via narrative descriptions.
JLR

Return to “General Discussions”