balance forward question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
chasedavis

balance forward question

Post by chasedavis »

We are trying to do our budgets for the year (a little late, i know) but our balance forward on MLS does not match our ending balance on the CFS. Is there a reason why? we have one batch that says it was sent in december but not cleared yet. would this be why? thanks
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

chasedavis wrote:We are trying to do our budgets for the year (a little late, i know) but our balance forward on MLS does not match our ending balance on the CFS. Is there a reason why? we have one batch that says it was sent in december but not cleared yet. would this be why? thanks
Do you mean UFS? The CFS is a stake report that wards don't receive. However, stakes don't generally have donation batches, so I assume you are not a stake.

Donation batches should not be affecting your budget balance unless the batch contains a donation of leftover funds from an advance. There is a possibility your unit is affected by a CUBS transition bug which would cause your balance to be more negative in MLS. In this situation, your UFS is likely more correct. How to fix it? Yeah, well, we're all waiting for that one. In the mean time, make note of the difference. Generally, this difference can be traced back to a 2006 or earlier expense that was adjusted/voided in 2007 or later. It'll be a bit hard to track that information down now.
chasedavis

Post by chasedavis »

thank you, i did mean UFS. Does contacting SLC help out at all?
chasedavis

Post by chasedavis »

also, the week the batch has not cleared was the week the stake gave us a check. It was close to the amount that we are off but not exact. is there a reason the batch has not cleared? its been about two months.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

chasedavis wrote:thank you, i did mean UFS. Does contacting SLC help out at all?
It may, but not likely. That would be productive if you could track the difference down. The conversion bug is only one of many reasons why it may be off. If it is the bug, my impression is that they are choosing to just let this problem fix itself over time (wait for the year with the data causing the problem to be erased). Calling won't help. If it is any other reason, then yes, I'd call.

Our stake budget was off because I had recategorized some of my pre-CUBS expenses. This created a duplicate expense for the item, resulting in it appearing twice on my UFS and giving me a smaller budget than I expected. However, this was an error where the UFS was showing less than MLS. Where your problem is the other way around, I think it's the conversion bug.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

chasedavis wrote:also, the week the batch has not cleared was the week the stake gave us a check. It was close to the amount that we are off but not exact. is there a reason the batch has not cleared? its been about two months.
Is this the Jan 31 2011 batch or the Oct 24, 2010 batch? There have been a couple glitches that hit my wards on these weeks. My action items section showed 2 action items for these batches - one for it being transmitted but not being received by the bank, and another saying it was received by the bank but not transmitted. A call the LUS was required to clear this up for me.

If the check from the stake is a budget check, then yes, this could explain the difference. I'd first verify that the check was deposited into the correct category and that you computer is successfully transmitting, and then call LUS to track it down from there.
chasedavis

Post by chasedavis »

okay, thank you. i'll keep you updated on any new developments.
chasedavis

Post by chasedavis »

it was december 12,
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

chasedavis wrote:it was december 12,
This check could be your "CUBS starting balance" check. This check should have been equal to the amount of remaining budget you had at the time of CUBS transition (Oct 17, 2010). If that is the check and it has not yet cleared, then that is most certainly part of the problem. Was the check placed as a donation into the Budget:Budget Allocation category? Does the stake UFS still show the check as outstanding? Have any members asked about their donation checks not having cleared yet?
chasedavis

Post by chasedavis »

So I called salt lake and it they fixed that specific donation batch so now mls has it recorded as sent. The MLS budget balance is a little closer but we are still off about 2k. Any other thoughts? I am about to call SLC again and see if they have any guidance.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”