Online directory and LDS Tools app not working?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
bryanahl

Online directory and LDS Tools app not working?

Post by bryanahl »

Recently the directory on LDS website and the LDS Tools app has stopped working. They are both basically saying that I don't have permission to access this data.

Anyone have any idea what the issue could be? It has sure been a bummer having to start printing out phone lists again. It doesn't appear that I am the only one with the issue in my ward, the bishop, the other counselor, and the Exec Sec, and the clerks are all having the same issue.

Any ideas would be great,

Bryan Ahlberg
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Since the directory is still in development there will be times when it may be down temporarily. This is also true of the LDS Tools application. Check it a couple of hours later or even a day later. If you still have problems then there may be more to it than being down for maintenance. If that is the case then send in a discription of the issue through the feedback link.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
bryanahl

Post by bryanahl »

Well it looks like there may be something bigger at play. It hasn't been working for us for more than three weeks. I have submitted feedback but haven't heard anything back. It was submitted under login problems. Would there be a better heading to submit it under?

Our stake was split a week or so before the issues started, I wonder if that is part of the problem?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bryanahl wrote:Well it looks like there may be something bigger at play. It hasn't been working for us for more than three weeks. I have submitted feedback but haven't heard anything back. It was submitted under login problems. Would there be a better heading to submit it under?
The particular category you choose may speed up or delay processing of feedback a bit, but it should still get handled.
bryanahl wrote:Our stake was split a week or so before the issues started, I wonder if that is part of the problem?

I would say that's very likely. In this post you can read about a similar problem with permissions taking a while to get restored after boundary realignment.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
bryanahl

Post by bryanahl »

The directory and the ipod app still doesn't work and I haven't heard back from church tech.

Seems kind of weird though. I can access everything else online, I can even check the temple recommend status of the ward members. The map function works just fine but the directory and the calendar (which I don't know if it works anyway) are the only things that don't seem to work.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

bryanahl wrote:The directory and the ipod app still doesn't work and I haven't heard back from church tech.

Seems kind of weird though. I can access everything else online, I can even check the temple recommend status of the ward members. The map function works just fine but the directory and the calendar (which I don't know if it works anyway) are the only things that don't seem to work.

I gather you are a unit leader. That gets you into the leadership sanctum of the website, which I think is walled off and authenticated separately. But I'm not sure to what extent your calling status would help enable or disable the basic directory, which is basically oriented to rank-and-file members at this point. The more granular privileges accorded to various callings might not yet make a difference in that part of the site as it is being developed.

A shot in the dark: In what country are you located?

Also, did you or anyone else ever have access to the directory since your unit split? If that was the event that broke access, then aebrown's theory about delays in processing might still explain things.
bryanahl

Post by bryanahl »

I am in Salt Lake City area so USA, the website and ipod app worked for about a week after the split. I think I noticed the website directory stop working and then I tried to update the ipod app to gather new member move-ins and that's when I got the error. I am in the bishopric, so that is why I have access to the leadership data. I guess it is still just a waiting game. I guess in this day and age is seems like 3-4 weeks is a long time for a delay in processing, we just aren't very patient anymore are we. I am not aware of anyone in the ward who currently has access to the directory via the website or access on the ipod app.

Thanks for the response, I will just keep patiently waiting.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

As a process of elimination of possible causes for the issue you could check CDOL to see if you are listed correctly there for your unit. This will help eliminate the rights access aspect.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
bryanahl

Post by bryanahl »

I checked CDOL and I check out as the 2nd counselor in the bishopric which is correct. It also shows the info that our stake was divided and our unit was transferred to the new stake unit.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

jdlessley wrote:As a process of elimination of possible causes for the issue you could check CDOL to see if you are listed correctly there for your unit. This will help eliminate the rights access aspect.

If he can get into the leaders app (as he appears to have done) then he has to be in CDOL correctly.

Return to “General Discussions”