Is there a private wiki/group service online?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
dubhdara

Is there a private wiki/group service online?

Post by dubhdara »

I was asked recently if the Church (or any LDS-owned services) provide a closed, private wiki-like site where (say) a presidency and secretary could share and update documents online?

I used to do something similar on Google Groups (I think it has recently changed names) and also have an account on wikidot where up to 5 users can participate as contributors/editors. However, not sure these would be appropriate for Church-related matters.

Does anyone know of such a service? It would, of course, have to be free.
dubhdara

Post by dubhdara »

I'm pretty sure something along these lines would exist due to necessity? Anyone? I'll check out the Google option.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dubhdara wrote:I'm pretty sure something along these lines would exist due to necessity? Anyone? I'll check out the Google option.
The Church currently does not provide anything in this realm. As for Google Docs, there are varying opinions as to whether it is appropriate to use that for Church work, or if you do, what you put there. This has been discussed many times on this forum; for one example, see the recent thread Google Doc sites - Are they ok?.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dubhdara

Post by dubhdara »

Thank you - interesting thread. So it basically comes down to local Priesthood decisions as long as they are not going against any clear policy (or until we hear otherwise).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dubhdara wrote:Thank you - interesting thread. So it basically comes down to local Priesthood decisions as long as they are not going against any clear policy (or until we hear otherwise).
Yes, it does, with a healthy measure of consideration for matters of privacy and confidentiality.

For me, the old e-mail rule still applies. Never send anything you would not want to see posted on the billboard on the way to work in the morning. I have made few exceptions to this general rule in my own personal life.

Return to “General Discussions”